1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching EDEXCEL GCSE set works

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mrs Music, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

I taught the most dreadful lesson in quite a while today, looking at analysing the set work by Handel. Almost all teacher-led, constant low level disruption and the more able students bored from the lack of pace, etc. There are 20 students in the class and they are very mixed ability. We've had some great lessons leading up to this on the four main themes in the work, harmonising them and cadences. Can anyone give me any tips on engaging students when looking at such a set work in detail/ how do others go about this?

Many thanks in advance, much appreciated.

2. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

I taught the most dreadful lesson in quite a while today, looking at analysing the set work by Handel. Almost all teacher-led, constant low level disruption and the more able students bored from the lack of pace, etc. There are 20 students in the class and they are very mixed ability. We've had some great lessons leading up to this on the four main themes in the work, harmonising them and cadences. Can anyone give me any tips on engaging students when looking at such a set work in detail/ how do others go about this?

Many thanks in advance, much appreciated.

3. casper

casper New commenter

Hi I have sent you a message.

4. I think I would wonder exactly how much detail you are going into? They really don't need much. You've covered most of it by examinign the nature of the themes. THere is a plagal cadence at the end. The main key. The fact that it is a happy chorus because it only uses major chords and a dotted triple dance-liek rhythm. Then the dates of Handel, 5 features of the baroque period - ya know and date and location of the first performance. Oh, and what an Oratorio is and why it's not an opera. That really is more than enough.
    Give them the notes - tell them there's a test next week. Small prizes for the best scores - and on the next test, a prize for the most improved scores.
    Write a short oratoriao yourselves - give each pari of students a line of text (doesn't have to be religious) and a key and a time sig and tell them to write a melody using one of the principle techniques from the handel piece - sequence, repetition, melisma, augmentation er . . and them perform it was one piece. That's brilliant - I'm going to use this as a lesson myself!!!
    Anyway - not too mcuh detail (have you seen the exam?)
    AND Have you joined the EDEXCEL GCSE Music Teachers working group on FACEBOOK. We would love to have new members.

5. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Thank you both, that's super helpful :)