1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching early partitioining -Y1 ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocochick, Jan 1, 2012.

1. chocochick

chocochick New commenter

Hi guys, I am a lttle confused as to how to simplify this for Y1 and I am looking for some good,visual ideas for how to teach this to Y1??? I would love to know what has worked well for you? Many Thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Are you thinking about partitioning a 2-digit number into tens and ones?
    Are they secure with partitioning single digit numbers in a variety of ways?
    If not, this would be the first step as this helps them to develop a sense of number - what has been called the 'fiveness of five'. You can help children develop this understanding with various practical resources (don't have to be mathematical necessarily) although Numicon is great for this as children can explore various ways to partition numbers.
    Manipulating resources and finding ways to record can support understanding and lead to writing number sentences. I usually try to link this to the current topic or class story as these provide a 'real-life' context.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. Hi,
    Last year my class loved playing tens and units top trumps. I put the children into partners with a big stack of cards 0-99 they each took a card from the pile the winner was the person with the most tens. It taught them to look at the seperate digits in the number. As we got better I would change the criteria for the winner eg most units least units.
    I also introduced the idea with a puppet who loved collecting "tens". We made numbers out of cubes making sticks of tens.The children then had to choose which number the puppet would like the best.
    Hope that helps :)

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I agree with carriecat that Numicon is an excellent resource to teach partitioning of numbers. If you don't have this in school, then you could use Dienes or Base 10 materials.

6. chocochick

chocochick New commenter

Thanks everyone for those ideas![​IMG] Will defo use them!