1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching EAL student maths help!!!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Pudsley, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Hi

I have a year 7 student just joined with absolutely no English.

The rest of my class are working on a long term project for the next 2-3 weeks. I have tried to explain this to her but it has far too much language so she can't understand.

Instead I tried to bring her up to date with the rest of the class algebra from so far this year (Top set). This did work but needed me sat with her one to one for most of the lesson. This I can't do as the other students need me also.

I have no idea how to support her (she is very able at maths), ensure rest of class get my time and make sure she is doing useful meaningful work.

Any ideas gratefully recieved

P

2. Each topic you do get a Key Words sheet and translate it into the language that she knows.

I did it for one of my lower ability EAL students with shapes. And he's coming on leaps and bounds now. Also if you have access to a TA the TA could point to the words when u say them so she recognises the words in English and knows what your on about because its there infront of her in her own language.

Hope this helps.

There is some good EAL resources on emaths or TES resources.

Hope this helps

3. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Learning the basic vocab as her Maths is already good. Maybe laptop and headphones and listen to some parts of mathswatch discs so that she can hear the maths being spoken.

This may also help

http://www.emaths.co.uk/teachers/index.php/eal.html