1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching EAL but paid as a Level 2 TA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by angelaqus, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Hello, I have a contract as a TA2 and my work consists in teaching overseas pupils EAL(English as an additional language) in 1-2-1 format. This work is considered a support work and I am paid as TA2. Is that correct? Should not it be at least level 3? Thank you in advance for your answers.

2. I am a level 3 TA but I am paid as a Level 2. I also work with EAL children plus i have various intervention programmes, Speech, Maths, Fine Motor Control, Writing Group, Spelling Groups, Phonics Group.
    I plan and evaluate all the lessons for these groups as well as making the resorces for them. I also ork in the classroom as well and do various jobs for the teacher.
    Im afraid its very common for this to happen.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Yep, its going on all over the place! That was why the SSSNB were trying to put things right, but the goverment got rid of them. I think the the only level 3 jobs now are nursery nurses or for statemented children.

4. It all seems to depend on what the school are prepared to pay you for irrelevant of what you do. You could be awkward and say as a level 2 you shouldnt be planning work, only delivering.