1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching EAL and French w/US credentials

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by frackiewicz123, Oct 29, 2017.

1. frackiewicz123

frackiewicz123 New commenter

Hi,

My husband and I are looking into what to do next...after we've finished our requirements for receiving our pensions, but we aren't quite ready to retire 100% because we're still pretty young. We're planning to move to Europe and may teach a few years before calling it a career and retiring completely.

I've got 23+ years of experience teaching French. He's got 15+ years teaching EAL. He's a native Polish speaker but is entirely fluent in English as he's lived here for well over 30 years and attended US schools. He's used to teaching native Spanish speakers, but it could be helpful that he can speak Polish as well since so many immigrants have moved from Poland to the UK.

I've seen that qualified French teachers are in demand, but haven't seen much on EAL. Here, he can pretty much pick and choose where to teach EAL.

We've both sent in our info to get it evaluated as far as QTS. If we were to get QTS, what sort of salary schedule placement would be reasonable to expect? I know it will depend upon the school, but if it's going to be the same as a brand new teacher, it may not be worth the hassle.

Thanks!

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Many schools set their own salaries now.
    Is your husband a qualified teacher? Not many schools employ EAL teachers and if they do it would be part time or with another subject. Some schools may even use teaching assistants with the relevant training for EAL students.

3. frackiewicz123

frackiewicz123 New commenter

Thanks for the reply...we just got word this morning that we are both approved for QTS. Not that we're doing anything with it, but it's another option for us. What is most surprising to me is that it was much easier and cheaper (free) to become qualified to teach in England that it would be to get certificated to teach in California or another state.

4. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I did know an x HT from New Zealand who came over to England and worked as a supply teacher. A friend of mine also from New Zealand,did this for a year. Supply (substitute) teacher may be the way to go if you don't want to stay in one area but travel around. There is a new supply teacher agency who will cover all areas so you don't have to keep registering with different ones when you move area.
    Some areas have more vacancies than others.