1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching E-safety

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I'm looking at teaching e-safety to year 8 and year 9. Now, i tend to hate the "paedo's gonna get ya" e-safety aspect and also am looking at moving away from "make a poster" as the main of the lesson.

What i'm after is ideas for how other schools teach e-safety. I've got the orange videos and the digizen stuff, but I just think the idea of Watch a video, talk about it, make a poster is a bit tired. I think i need it to last 2 lessons and be different for both y8 and y9.

Any ideas would be greatly recived. This is just a starting point for thoughts of how i'm going to teach it.

Thanks Mr G

2. How about getting them to think about it from an employer's perspective. Get them to discuss and create a how-to guide for a boss to use the web to find out about their potential employee. Facebook, flickr, forums, LinkedIn, Google, etc.

Trying to get the kids to consider what kind of stuff they're posting to the world is a dead end - they just don't get it (and nor would I, at 11...)

3. I do love https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Twitter-Template-6025935/ and https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Facebook-template-page-6025698/ as a learning tool.....

4. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

We use a lot of the CEOP stuff (would strongly recommend their Ambassador courses) across KS3. In Y7, the focus is on cyber-bulying, although we're moving towards the social networking stuff as well as most of them are on Facebook before they come to us. The Y7s use Movie Maker to create a movie on an esafety topic of their choice, we then have a bit of peer assessment and send the best few off to local primaries for their Y6s to evaluate. Seems to work quite well.

5. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Hi guys, just so you know i've compiled a load of E-safety stuff using all your advice. I also found that the Digizen.org site has TONS of stuff that works well alongside a lot of the stuff you've talked aobut, it's well worth a look if your teaching this.

Thanks for all the advice, I think this topic can become so dry if you don't keep re-inventing it every year.( but i guess this is the same with any teaching)

6. Would there be a chance that you could share the resources?

7. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

look above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - just used the stuff outlined and the stuff on digizen.org, just have a look.