1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching drafting and editing.

Discussion in 'English' started by Mat77, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Mat77

Mat77 New commenter

Hi. I've just taken on the role of English coordinator at the 2 form entry primary school where I teach year 6. Currently we don't have a whole school approach to the teaching of drafting and editing work, which is something I think we could/should change: having a consistent approach will mean that children know exactly what drafting and editing looks like and how it is done rather than different teachers doing it 'their own way'. I'm looking for any advice/ideas on successful approaches that people are using. Also, in which year group should this be introduced? I know the NC states year 2 should be proof reading to check for spelling errors so should this be when the basic process is introduced?
    We are also thinking about scrapping timed extended writes and introducing Publishing books where children will be able to write up and share their final, edited and improved written work from all areas of the curriculum. There have been some concerns that writing work up 'in neat' is a waste of teaching time, especially for KS1 but when work has been edited well, with potentially several changes, additions and corrections (which can make work appear unorganised and messy) then surely the children should have the opportunity to write up the finished article so that other people can understand and enjoy it? Would very much appreciate any advice or feedback.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

In Secondary, I battle with the idea on 'writing up in neat'. Our feeder schools teach them that redrafting is making a fair copy. Getting pupils to proof read their work, consider different sentence structures and aim to use more effective vocabulary is hard work, so encouraging this in primary can only be a good thing.

At GCSE, with exam only, it is, to a large extent, a redundant skill, but it comes back at A' Level. When given the opportunity to redraft properly, children are always proud of their work, but then we get to Y10 and it's out of the window. There's no time.

However, I would be wary of imposing anything on teachers. Start small with one unit of work in each year where redrafting skills are taught, revised or practised and go from there.

Flere-Imsaho and blueskydreaming like this.
  3. Mat77

Mat77 New commenter

Thanks for your feedback Gloria. As it states in the NC children should be taught these skills and as the expectations in primary are so high, it only seems fair to give them the opportunity to reflect and improve on what they have done. What isn't helpful is learning one way of drafting and editing and then being told by another teacher the next year 'this is how I want you to do it.' Yes there are many ways of drafting and editing but surely it's simpler and more time effective to teach one way... at least while they're at primary school?