1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Deputies

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Sparklesocks, Jan 27, 2011.

1. How do you manage to do it all?

I posted on here back in September when I first started in my new job complaining that my headteacher gave me nothing to do in the role as deputy. Boy, how I wish I shut up and just enjoyed the settling in time!

I have a full time year 6 class commitment, assessment co, manager of TA's, literacy co, KS2 leader (think that may be it) along with deptuy. I can do each of the roles individually, but combining them is hard. I can never seem to be on top of everything! I get one day ppa/managment time a week, and while I get a lot done I seem to spend lots of time with other teachers and sorting out behaviour problems!

I actually screamed very loudly for most of my 30 minute car journey home today! I want to do everything and want to do it all well - just need about another 10 hours in a day to get there!

If anyone has any hints in getting through the to-do lists I'd be really grateful!

2. How do you manage to do it all?

I posted on here back in September when I first started in my new job complaining that my headteacher gave me nothing to do in the role as deputy. Boy, how I wish I shut up and just enjoyed the settling in time!

I have a full time year 6 class commitment, assessment co, manager of TA's, literacy co, KS2 leader (think that may be it) along with deptuy. I can do each of the roles individually, but combining them is hard. I can never seem to be on top of everything! I get one day ppa/managment time a week, and while I get a lot done I seem to spend lots of time with other teachers and sorting out behaviour problems!

I actually screamed very loudly for most of my 30 minute car journey home today! I want to do everything and want to do it all well - just need about another 10 hours in a day to get there!

If anyone has any hints in getting through the to-do lists I'd be really grateful!

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Teaching deputy?! Now there's a rare thing indeed! I work in a one and a half form entry school and we have a full -time DHT and full-time SENCO who are both non-class based and have very little contact with children at all- except through their third party forms and pro-formas that the rest of us have to fill in. They never cover for abscence and the rest of us are todl there is no money for CPD as our cover budget is too high?! Think you got a very short straw in your new role- sorry I can't offer you anything more constructive. Good luck.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Even in the largest primary in
    my la, as a deputy I had a .4 teaching commitment. It's rare to find a non teaching deputy in primary.
    Op. Don't panic. Prioritise. Action plans are helpful, they take time to do but help you to get organised. Work out what you need to do for each of your roles, which items can wait and which just can't. Balancing class and deputy jobs takes time to master. Don't be too hard on yourself. It will get better.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I should add that before I was deputy in a very large primary I did 6 years as a deputy in a smaller primary. I was senco, assesment co ordinator, ks 1 and fs co ordinator, oversaw a pre school, lead behaviour professional, literacy co ordinator and child protection co ordinator. I taught a mixed key stage class and it was pre ppa days. I've walked in your shoes and I know how it feels. I promise, once you get used to things it does get better. Sometimes you have to accept that it won't all be done, you'll never be finished. Also you have to learn that sometimes it has to be "good enough" not perfect. Be kind to yourself.

6. A very good message there - we are not superhuman! If the OP is teaching 4 days a week then teaching is going to have to be a large part of the job. Set yourself a limit of hours that you consider reasonable to work in a week. In my view noone should be expected to work more than say 50-55 based on a 7 hour day and a couple of extra hours a day for all the other things you might need to get done (I know a lot of people who put in 60+ but in the end there has to be some kind of recognition that life isn't all work!) Work out how much time of that you need to spend on dealing with your class - actual lesson time, planning, marking etc. What you are left with is the number of hours you should spend on your management role. Prioritise work to fit that schedule and don't go beyond it. Or if you do go beyond it discuss this with your head.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You really learned your trade as a deputy before stepping up to head, mind - none of this 'I've been a deputy for five minutes, help me write my application to be a head' nonsense for you!

8. It is not only primary that have to teach as deputies. I teach 14 from 30 lesson a week and am a sole deputy with so many responsibilities I cannot name them all!
    I too am drowning so know how you feel but everybody is telling me it gets better. I really hope so!

9. Try not to compare yourself with non-teaching deputies! They're in a completely different situation to us... There will be some things they do that we simply can't... because we're teaching!
    Like you I'm in class 4 days a week and that class need me to be the best teacher I can be on those days.
    I try to prepare as many resources as possible while I'm planning and I try to plan so that not every lesson needs detailed marking by me...
    I've become REALLY keen on children knowing their objectives and assessing their own progress against them and I'm also keen on planning sequences of lessons (especially for writing) where the detailed assessment comes at the end of the sequence.
    Sometimes I have had to accept that I just have to compromise... Some weeks are manic and some feel a bit more under control.
    Even when it all seems to be piling up, I'm still glad that I'm teaching... I'm not ready to completely quit the classroom just yet.
    Best wishes,
    C x

10. Thanks to you all for your advice! I know I still have a lot to learn, to ensure that I am giving the best to all of my roles!!
    This is proabably one of my biggest areas to work on; I do not cut corners, even though I can identify many ways for others to!
    Currently putting in well over 60 hours a week- feel a small chat with my head might be needed soon-just need to figure out how I will do it without making them feel that I can not do the job or without letting them down at all!

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I don't think your head will be surprised. It's a rare deputy ( and probably not a very good one) who doesn't feel like you do occasionally - especially at first. Ask your head for advice about managing all your roles. If you don't speak up your head will presume everything is fine and maybe even pile more work on. They're not a mindreader!

12. Oh my - I think I'd crack and cry/rock in the corner.

I have put together an action plan of monitoring roles that need to be completed regularly and am going to talk to my head in my ppa time this week. I am hoping that this will show that I do not want to loose anything, or am saying that I cannot do it all - just feel as if I need maybe a bit more time now and then.

Thanks for all of your advice. On an positive note; had a brilliant day teaching today, with no knocks at my door! YAY!

13. Our AHT (we don't have a DHT, so for us it is the same thing) teaches Y6 full time with 4 hours TA support per week, is SENCO with 6 days 'supply' time per year to fullfill this role, and mentor to two NQTs (no time off provided - meetings have to be after school hours). What is good about this, is that when a recent 'new initiative' was mooted, she lead the staff in going back to the Head to ask if it was really necessary as we were all at breaking point.
    She'd be the first to say that in all of this mix, the children have to come first - anything that doesn't impact directly on them gets done only if there is time! Having said that, she'd also be the first to say that she doesn't have a life ...