1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Dance in Early Years (Specifically Yr R and based on Chinese New Year)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Juno84, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I may be being unrealistic, but I was hoping to create a PE Dance lesson plan based on either the Dragon or Lion Dance that the Chinese use to celebrate Chinese New Year. However, I haven't been on any dance training and I cannot find anything on the internet to base my planning on. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to keep teaching dance to 30 pupils achievable?
    Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

2. I may be being unrealistic, but I was hoping to create a PE Dance lesson plan based on either the Dragon or Lion Dance that the Chinese use to celebrate Chinese New Year. However, I haven't been on any dance training and I cannot find anything on the internet to base my planning on. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to keep teaching dance to 30 pupils achievable?
    Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

3. This is just what I am looking for too but am having no luck so far :( sorry to be of no help but I really hope somebody has some ideas to share!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

How about a Chinese ribbon dance with dragon or lion masks

5. Yes! We have a long drab of fabric that I may choose some sensible children to form a Dragon's body under it. Then the others can use their dragon masks with ribbons to dance around the outside. Will show them some videos and model some moves. It may just be them listening to the music and matching their movements to the music at first. I'll give it a go and in the meantime try and get myself on some dance training! Thanks!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

There are plenty of dragon dance videos on google. Take a look and adapt as necessary.

7. This might be a bit late for now but I think bbc 'Let's Move' had a broadcast about Chinese New Year. You can purchase their cd's on the bbc school radio website. Don't hold me to this tho, it's just a vague memory!