1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching D&T in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Emma020984, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me/give advice/reasure me.

My boyfriend has to move to Dubai in November for 2 years as part of his job. If we want to stay together I really need to go with him. As I know it would break my heart not to be with him for 2 years I have decided I want to go to Dubai too. I love my teaching job where I am at the moment, but I know I really want to be with him. I've been looking for the past 3 weeks for a suitable job, and I'm getting really worried as nothing has come up. The problem I'm having is that I'm a Design and Technology teacher and there doesn't seem to be much call for D&T teachers in Dubai, or in the UAE as a whole. Can any one help to calm my nerves, and tell me that there are such positions about, and that time isn't running out for a September 2012 start. Also, how long does it take to sort a work visa out? Any words of comfort would be much appreciated!

Help, help, help!

Emma

2. Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me/give advice/reasure me.

My boyfriend has to move to Dubai in November for 2 years as part of his job. If we want to stay together I really need to go with him. As I know it would break my heart not to be with him for 2 years I have decided I want to go to Dubai too. I love my teaching job where I am at the moment, but I know I really want to be with him. I've been looking for the past 3 weeks for a suitable job, and I'm getting really worried as nothing has come up. The problem I'm having is that I'm a Design and Technology teacher and there doesn't seem to be much call for D&T teachers in Dubai, or in the UAE as a whole. Can any one help to calm my nerves, and tell me that there are such positions about, and that time isn't running out for a September 2012 start. Also, how long does it take to sort a work visa out? Any words of comfort would be much appreciated!

Help, help, help!

Emma

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Many schools don't offer D&T. Those that do, tend to be the better schools (although not always the case) that are genuine in their determination to offer a good UK curriculum. Those schools have mostly recruited for Sept by now so posts will be thin on the ground. Lower tier schools that offer D&T may still advertise.
    My standard advice for couples seeking to work overseas: get married. If you're keen enough on each other marriage is not an issue. If there's an issue with getting married don't chase half way across the world for someone.
    In Dubai you cannot cohabit unless married. Whilst some blind eyes are turned it is not worth the genuine risk of being jailed and then deported.

4. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I am doing as much research about the schools as I can, and I'm well aware that some of the schools might not be great. We don't intend to live together, we know that that is against the law out there and wouldn't risk anything. The other thing I was contemplating is just working for a blue chip company out there for 2 years. Have you any advice on this? Are there other companies out there that I could work for and not teach for 2 years? Again, any advice is much appreciated.