1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Cursive Handwriting?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kaz_allan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Hi
    We are looking at introducing cursive handwriting from reception onwards. Can anyone share what programme they use and how they fit it into the day ..

Any help would be great
    Thank you

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't use a programme but I teach handwriting for 10 minutes a day introducing letters in "families (with the same sequence of movements)then into joins.

3. oh ok thank you. We thought it would be good if all our teachers taught the cursive style the same way to keep consistency across the school that is why we were looking for a scheme. Thanks for your post.

4. Msz

All our staff teach exactly the same cursive style from Y1 - 6 we just don't use a commercial scheme.

5. dobby

dobby New commenter

We introduced this throughout school this year using the KBER materials. Compared to other schemes they are very reasonable. We chose this because it gives you a script to use for the formation of the letters so the langugae used is consistent throughout school. It also groups them into formation families. You can choose the style of letters you use too as there are different models for some letters e.g. open and closed b, joining from above or below etc.
    We also bought the Handwriting for Windows program but I am not as happy with this resource as it is complicated to use but we do now have a cursive font to use to create our resources.
    http://www.kber.co.uk/

6. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

We use the same style across the school - every letter starts on the line. We used to start in reception but found it really slowed the kids writing down as they were trying to remember too many things at once. We now start in year 1. A handwriting policy is what's required - not a scheme.

7. Msz

agreed

8. Great. Thank you all for your comments. I will take these on board. Thanks again.

9. We use the Penpals CD. You can show the children how to form the letter using the IWB which draws it at normal speed or in slow motion. The Year 1 CD has the different families e.g. long ladder family, then focuses on the individual letters before moving on to joins. Their favourite part is when we check if the pelican is impressed with their writing... when they click on him there is a word inside his mouth for them to copy - they really believe that he watches them!
    You can also get books to go with the CD.
    My class write and practise on individual whiteboards that have handwriting lines printed onto them - they love these especially as they get to look after their own board in their drawer. They also have handwriting books which contain they same lines and they practise sentences from the penpals book that contain words that use the join they have just learned.
    They really enjoy handwriting because they feel so grown up when they can use cursive handwriting.

I also made a display that contains all of the joins they learn with the cd. We display these as we learn them to remind the children which letters they can join. This helps the children who are tempted to join everything remember which ones I am looking for them to use!

Here is the display I made...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290585671686&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

10. [​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290585671686&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT