1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching crucial topics through board games?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WillSmoth, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Currently teaching early years and looking for some suggestions on board games with a bit of a hidden educational value. We often have a lot of "free" days around holidays and spring break where the children often take it upon themselves to bring in board games for everyone to play.

I've been reading a bit about board games that help teach science but i honestly don't know where to start as i haven't tried any of these myself. Anyone have any experience with games that are both fun/engaging and educational. Thanks!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Love it or hate it but my grandson learned most of his number bonds to 100 through playing Monopoly. Plus doubles, halves, costs of hotels etc.

He loves games and I noticed he has little knowledge of the world, countries, seas etc so I'd love to know if there are good geography games out there.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Grumbleweed: Does he like jigsaws? There are some good geographical jigsaws?

WillSmoth, I would guess that in early years the problem will be learning to play any unfamiliar game. The ones they bring in will be ones the owner, at least, already knows how to play. The ones you've linked look as if they're aimed at much older children, anyway. Orchard Toys are pretty good for games for younger ones - but more useful for literacy/numeracy than science.