1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching crisis: what things need to change to transform the profession?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

A former headteacher outlines the seven ways that could be considered to readdress the imbalance and make teachers happy to work in the classroom:

‘I’ve worked in a special school, an inner-city school, opened a brand new school as its deputy head and, latterly, been headteacher of Shropshire's only free school. In every post I have been in, I have done whatever it takes to help children realise their potential.

And that – from what I can see – is becoming a problem in teaching.

In a system of ever-increasing scrutiny, accountability and culpability and ever-declining professional support, frontline budget and good old respect and decorum, whatever it takes is simply no longer fair.’
    John Newton was a headteacher and is now an education consultant. This blog was orginally posted here.

What would be on your list to help teachers love their job again?

https://www.tes.com/news/mats-warned-not-ditch-national-pay-and-conditions

2. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Fewer overpaid consultants writing blogs might help?

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Ex-teachers writing articles about how to keep teachers in the job - oh the delicious irony!

4. drek

drek Lead commenter

Same one who says he prefers cheaper newly qualified to experienced older staff or similar. Can always tell the brashness of people new to their own roles.
    Message to newbies.
    Get the training package deal and then run for your life...........

5. drek

drek Lead commenter

Also in every role other than a teacher he was one of those responsible for the workload impositions that drove teachers to their knees in exhaustion......in the past few years........a very caring person then!

lardylegs, agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So you, the teacher, do "whatever it takes".

After goodness knows how long, I want my leaders to provide the tools for the job". I want professional respect and occasional thanks, and I need to know that if a child is unable to thrive with what I have to offer, or the group that they have been put into, that something else can be done to support that child.
    That support may be discipline from someone with more clout than me, it may be support from someone else with different skills or more time than me, it may be a move to a more appropriate workplace.
    Give me those, and I'll probably "do what it takes". Fail to give them to my, and sooner or later, cynicism will take over and I'll decide that it's "just another job".

Mrsmumbles, lardylegs, BTBAM and 6 others like this.
  7. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

It’s interesting that the government has caused this crisis but teachers on the ground are trying to make the best out of a bad situation or come up with solutions.

Maybe the government minister for education who’s on a 6 figure salary should actually do his job instead of us doing it for him!

bertiehamster likes this.
  8. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

It really is just a job. To think of it any other way will crush pretty much anyone. There was a time when it was a vocation. That time is long gone. There was a deliberate effort to take advantage of that vocation, and squeeze people of everything they had for nothing. The 'profession' (as it arguably was then) broke. Now it's low paid, insecure and subject to the whims of endless idiots.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

more teachers.

more resources.

I'm doing the hours of two full time jobs and paying for many of my own resources myself

agathamorse likes this.
  10. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Teachers acting professional instead of using teaching as an extension to sixth form and university. It's quite hard to work in an environment where teachers act no better than many of the kids they are supposed to be teaching. Also, people who are paid massive salary amounts to justify their salary by doing their jobs instead of putting their workload off on other people. Also, more discipline and less 'excuses' and micromanagement are required as well. Until then, this man won't step foot onto any school campus as a regular paid qualified teacher.

tenpast7 likes this.
  11. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Oh yeah, drop the "everyone deserves a trophy" mentality as well and make students and parents accountable.

12. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I did that - the very best choice!

Mrsmumbles and lardylegs like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Here's an idea-before I leave the house today to get the shopping, how about I write a formal plan of what I'm going to do? And how about before doing it, I submit the plan to somebody who is not supposed to do that shopping, for their approval? And how about they grade it in terms of whatever they fancy? How about if I get a low grade I then get sent out to do the shopping with a 5 kilo weight tied to my back? And how about if I protest about it, I am asked for another plan before that weight can be reduced to 4 kilos? And how about....ach, ooops. The shops are now shut. How about trying again tomorrow, but first of all writing my name down on the list of people who failed to get the shopping in, and making sure that I carry that list around stuck to my forehead forever. And how about every time I manage to get the shopping in but end up with something which was not written on my plan, the weight on my back gets raised again?

Change one thing? How about just stop the requirement to measure and write down stuff that doesn't actually exist?

14. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Trust me to teach.
    Leave me alone to teach.
    Let me choose what marking i do and what homework I set.
    Support me when I ask.
    Make sure there are plenty of resources available.

15. phlogiston

I'm not sure what you mean here, in three and a half decades, I've come across few colleagues acting unprofessionally.

I don't have an "everyone deserves a trophy" mentality, but I fail to see why the assessment system should only give meaningful rewards to the most academic. It is (and always has been) a disgrace when children leave school with effectively a piece of paper saying "I failed at everything". This is probably the biggest reason why some parents feel no need to encourage their children if they fear the same thing will repeat in the next generation.

16. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yep!

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

It is just another job. Sadly.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Pay me above avergae pay as I am chnaging life chances
    Do not get allow an inexperienced teacher’s observations count so much they can wreck my career
    Do something about bitchy kids and parents who complain and falsely alledge and get away with more career-wrecking...make the job safer and professionally attractive to do, not a minefield
    Force SLT to all teach the toughest sets
    Put teaching staff eequests for what tou soend rhe budget on before SLT hobbeyhorses and deranged vanity projects
    Reduce the working day
    Reintroduce the sports afternoon across all schools

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Well yes...surely they should be much MORE accountable than the teacher, really. So many kids just ooen their gobs and demand drip feeding.NO! Incorrect! Get off tour own back end and read, research, do timed essays ON YOUR OWN. Then the teacher can help.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. phlogiston

However I do agree that those who can't be bothered to do anything shouldn't get rewards.