1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching couples

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by annalein, Dec 27, 2010.

1. <font size="3">My husband and I are thinking of moving abroad to teach in an international school. We are doing our research and really try to think our way through the process to find a school in which we can both be happy. </font><font size="3">However, I think as a teaching couple we might be a little bit unusual and I would like to hear some opinions on whether international schools will consider us or not. </font><ol style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3">My husband teaches sport in a further education college and he has also worked in a sixth form for a few years before that. He has taught BTEC First Diploma, A Level and now teaches on a foundation degree. Is it a problem that he has not taught in a secondary set up? </font><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3">I teach English in a secondary school, but I am German. I have German degrees and an English PGCE. I can also teach German. Will international schools be wary of such a combination? </font></ol>

2. No takers?

3. You are like Gold Dust! I would put you at the top of the pile if your CVs hit my inbox. There are even German International Schools that would be interested in you aswell as the British ones.
    You can also offer the Home Language Programe where German/French students are taught their own language by native speaking teachers. Many students lose the ability to pass their own language exams for Universities as they have been taught in English for several years! So some schools now offer lessons in students own Mother Tounge. So when the English speaking kids do French/German lessons the Germans/French students do their own language! So some experience of teaching in your home country would be useful as well, so mention that on your CV.
    If you have 3-4 years teaching English at GCSE and A Level your nationality will not be held agaist you atinterview. Just remember how many English writers where Irish or even Welsh!
    Also schools like married couples as they are less likely to be Party Animals, compared to the single teachers!

4. Thanks for the comments. They have given me some reassurance that I can get on the international schools' circuit. Yey!
    Am I right in thinking that my husband is also a suitable candidate for international schools even though he has mostly got experience with over 16 teaching?
    Sorry for the late reply, but I have been plagued with the flu and had a really busy week at work and then there were of course the holidays.