1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching couple

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by w1185299, Sep 16, 2019.

1. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

What is the best way to go about getting a job in the same school? I teach History and my wife IT. We have 16 years experience up to A’level.

Last year there were plenty of jobs, but in different schools.

I have 2 primary school children. Ideally, I would like us all to be in the same school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Unfortunately you hit it right on the nail there..

".... plenty of jobs but in different schools."

Not saying it doesn't exist. But your and your wife's subject is the biggest hurdle. Not the most desired of combinations despite the A-level experiences. If there was one of the "academic" subjects then you may have a better chance. Other than that, being open minded about working in two different schools should be explored.

Good luck.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Best chance? Register with Search and attend an early fair. Schools use the first fairs to hire as many couples as possible, while they still have a full slate of openings to play with. Later in the season, with less remaining positions, it’s harder to find the combos you need.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Oi - most people would consider History as a pretty academic subject. I'm going to be generous and assume that you meant to type scientific...

When you say your wife teaches IT - do you mean basic computing, or computer science? Could she also do D&T, or Maths for example? If she can, then you might find your horizons broaden a bit more.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  5. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I have no idea about the IB sytem, so others may correct me but I do know someone here who is a 'history' teacher that has worked in IB schools in South America, Europe, East Asia and now the UAE but I believe they have had to combine it with teaching some geography at times - so if you're not already considering IB schools it might be worth checking out.

6. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@amysdad...... Let's focus on the OP's situation rather than hooting about who sits on top. Even the OP admitted that the combination was slim pickins last time he/she looked.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

MYP has Individuals and Society, their name for Social Studies or whatever. It's an integrated subject (History, Geography, Econ, etc) at least up through Year 9. In Years 10 and 11, some schools continue the integrated path, while others switch to individual courses and students pick one.
    In the DP, they are separate courses.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Actually, working in different schools has its benefits. We work in different schools, and my daughter goes to my wife's school (suits her better academically.) It means that I act as the parent for teacher contact unless in an emergency, and my wife can concentrate on her school work! As long as the schools aren't too far apart it should work quite well.

Humanities jobs were slow to appear last year and I got the feeling that generally there wasn't much movement in that arena. Be flexible in what you teach - as others have said, MYP and even some UK schools will teach Humanities or Social Studies to that yeargroup and might advertise it as that. I'm a history / politics teacher, but I'm primarily teaching geography at the moment......

9. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

A few things: Luck will come into this, my wife and I have worked in the same school on a couple of occasions which have come about because of lucky application timing, to be honest it doesn't matter what your subjects are, if there isn't a job then there isn't a job. Currently we are working apart but the schools are pretty adjacent. My son goes to my school and my wife is in management at another. We get two sets of housing allowance and flights every year as well as doubling up on lots of other perks which couples working at the same schools just don't get.

All in all working in different schools has been very rewarding for us. I shouldn't knock it until I had tried it!

Naturally,
    B3