1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching couple with children

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mhughes87, May 14, 2018.

1. mhughes87

mhughes87 New commenter

Hi,

Myself and my wife are looking at moving to the UAE to teach from September 19. We have two children 1 will be 6 and the other 2 by then. Are there any families that have taken children this young? What arrangements did you have for childcare after school? In the uk there are breakfast and after school clubs available is this the same abroad? Would you suggest 1 of us should be part time? Any advice would be great!

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Assuming you are both teachers, you should be fine. First - most international schools start in August, so if you're coming from England prepare for a short summer holiday next year!

A school will usually offer at least one free place per teacher, if not two, so your older child would be able to go straight into the correct year group. I don't know about childcare in UAE for under 5s, but a good school would be able to put you in touch with some local help, or current teachers might know who to ask. There's not really after school clubs like the UK, but more after school activities which you would be doing, and there's a tacit understanding that staff kids will stay around the school (probably in their parents classroom) until their parents are ready to go home if they don't have an activity.

It's more than likely you wouldn't be able to get one of you part time. Put simply, it's too difficult for schools to recruit a second part- time teacher to fill the gap, so they just don't want to offer it. If they really want you, they will help you work out the childcare, etc. Much better to get the international experience!

Finally, is there a particular reason why you want the UAE? You might also want to consider SE Asia too - lots of good places there for young kids!

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

We've had three children overseas. Sometimes only one of us worked and one stayed home. We had very affordable childcare and house cleaning services. It was affordable for only one working. I wouldn't trade our years overseas with children for anything. My friends back home have all struggled financially or otherwise with raising their children.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I would suggest that SE Asia might also be worthy of serious consideration. The UAE in general (and Doobuy in particular) seems to be a perennial favourite with young(ish) teachers, but maybe it is not the best place for a young family. The general consensus seems to be that "packages" in the UAE are not what they once were.