1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching couple looking to save £4000 a month

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by elvispresley1956, Feb 8, 2018.

1. elvispresley1956

elvispresley1956 New commenter

Hello all,

Popular question and yet so little information out there.

We are a teaching couple looking to put away £4000 in the bank every month.

I've done my research and have some countries in mind already, but was wondering any teaching couples out there have experience of saving this amount , or near this amount? Essentially, we would put away one partner's salary every month and a bit of the other's. We have two kids, so the school will have to offer free tuition. We are experienced secondary teachers, I have eight years teaching experience and my partner has 15.

I know you can't name the schools, but if you can p.m. me that would be much appreciated!

This would be a very popular thread if people could just list the good experiences they had....with numbers! Salary, housing, flights, living expenses.

No lectures needed on the lifestyle that we will choose. Let's just say we are willing to cut out the Western food, the travelling, the booze etc.

So far, I've narrowed it down to a few schools in Qatar, Saudi, Bahrain, China and Jakarta. I know Singapore pays well, however living expenses seem a bit daunting. China is mentioned a lot, however waet puts off by the pollution.

Once again if you could p.m. me names of schools that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Russia? Current adverts suggest a starting salary which, with benefits, would equate to £3000 a month or so (which matches what I was paid in Moscow several years ago).

So for two people, a starting combined salary of £6000: £2000 a month is feasible to live off, if frugal. If you are experienced though, you could be looking at earning more.

spurs78 likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Look at a few schools in africa. Im a single teacher and im saving more than you want to save as a couple.

spurs78 likes this.
  4. evvi

evvi New commenter

Don't rule out Singapore, as a married couple after rent, tax and utilities, we are left with £9500 per month. Flights and medical are covered by the school. Even with travel and the cost of living here that still leaves a lot of savings per month. Neither of us are in a promoted post.

spurs78 likes this.
  5. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

There are plenty of places beyond your initial list where a couple can save £4000 a month. Several options in Singapore. One or two in Thailand and Vietnam, some in off the beaten track countries that even many diehards would never think of, some in Africa and probably some that I'm not aware of. What you are going to do with that money after you have spent none of it in interesting places is another question. Which kinda makes me want to say I hope you get the job in Saudi.

spurs78 likes this.
  6. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

We're in the Caribbean and able to save that too! Although I think we might be an exception in this part of the world!

spurs78 likes this.
  7. rose8tta

rose8tta New commenter

I would love to find out about some of these schools? Any that I have looked into, you would be lucky to be able to save £1000 per month. Are we talking specific top tier schools in different counties? Many schools don't advertise the salary either when you apply, how are you able to find the better paying schools? Any help appreciated.

spurs78 likes this.
  8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

1. Search associates, sign up
    2. Avoid just looking at british schools

spurs78, spanboy and rose8tta like this.
  9. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

3. Avoid Spain lol!

dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Shanghai it would be possible to save one salary a month and still live a good expat life style as you described. Its getting hard to find a good deal from the rent-a-name schools but a take home salary of 3k GBP is still common to a max of around 3.5K.

spurs78 likes this.
  11. elvispresley1956

elvispresley1956 New commenter

Hi Dumbells66,

Any chance you could PM me the name of your school?

Thanks.