1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Coordinates

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Chatterbox1607, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I was just wondering if anyone else could help add to my list of ideas on how to teach this to make it fun and engaging for children. I have a list of text book activities etc and bee bot activities but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to teach this or have any internet sites with good games that could be played by children independently? Many thanks

2. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I was just wondering if anyone else could help add to my list of ideas on how to teach this to make it fun and engaging for children. I have a list of text book activities etc and bee bot activities but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to teach this or have any internet sites with good games that could be played by children independently? Many thanks

3. look on mathszone.co.uk
    in the KS2 shape section

4. Use chalk outside to draw a big coordinates grid, then you can do lots of large scale kinaesthetic coordinate work.
    Tell children to stand on certain coordinates to make a shape or picture, etc.

5. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Using worksheetworks.com you can type in any message and it will produce coordinates you need to plot to draw out that message. Go to their coordinate section. I know it's a worksheet but who gives a stuff. The kids love it and can go on to make their own messages.

6. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I have put a battleships game in resources https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Battleships-with-co-ordinates-6116843/ that uses co-ordinates. I used this as the plenary for a co-ordinates lessons that I taught.