1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching community

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by marcus0304, Sep 5, 2018.

1. marcus0304

marcus0304 New commenter

Hello all,

New to EY teaching and new to the job anway. I am working at a CoE school and our Christian Value this half term is community. Does anyone have any resources or any ideas on how I can teach this to m reception children as I have no idea!!

Thank you

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Think about the things you will be doing day to day to support a sense of community. Working together to look after your new classroom, learning about where things belong and whas where in the school. Making friends and building relationships with each other. Playing games. Sharing food eg bringing snack one day to share. Making a collective display. All this builds the school community.
    Talk about and share home experiences, this supports their sense of their home and family community.
    Share stories from different cultures from the class or different religions, this is their sense of part of a religious community.
    Then you have the community outside the school, the park, the shops, the post office, farm, or whatever is nearby.
    Look at the development maters to see which parts link with a sense of community.
    Hope that gives you a start.