1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Chinese children online - is this a dodgy organisation?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tutoringmad, Jun 23, 2020.

?

Does this situation look dodgy to you?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. This is a request for advice from anyone who has done Private Tutoring and/or taught English courses to children in China either in person or online.

I responded to an ad on a local Manchester Facebook group requesting people to deliver online English courses to children in China aged 4-12. They're wanting to put me through for a trial lesson with the partner of the woman I've been speaking to. However, due to the language barrier, it's been difficult to ask questions about the job and the organisation. The organisation doesn't have a website - when I asked for one, they gave me a link to a record from a "WeChat", giving information about the organisation, half in English. When I've asked questions about the duration, time commitment etc., the answers can be vague. I'm starting to get a bit nervous about entering into a working relationship with so much uncertainty.

For those with experience in this area - is this normal, and a natural product of the language barrier and the fact that the internet is so restricted in China? Or does it strike you as something dodgy that I should perhaps back off from?

2. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

This doesn't sound normal to me, at all. There are plenty of online tutoring companies that have websites and advanced platforms - just do a quick google search I'm sure the big ones will immediately come up.

It's not difficult to get work with them and (in my experience) they are run in a professional way. I would cut your ties with this one and do some research into the best company for you.

3. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Not dodgy just a start up in China. There's a billion people who want the best for their children and online learning is an easy way to access tuition. They aren't asking you to pay them anything or move. I would give it a go and make sure you get paid after each session.

4. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

By the way... 'wechat' is LIFE over here. It's communication, it's a payment method, it has a million 'groups' eg buy and sell, it's part 'Instagram' and yes, people run businesses using it.
    Tomorrow I'm going on a 3 day trip with a travel company that does... Everything... by wechat!
    You can download in UK (I started mine in UAE) then send your wechat ID. Then...the magic of wechat, you can long press any message in Chinese, choose translate, and it turns into English! And vice versa. FANTASTIC.
    I ♥ wechat! Lol

Not say if the company is dodgy or not, but Wechat certainly isn't.

5. akalhagin

akalhagin New commenter

Agree with the Above that Wechat is a very legitimate platform. I did some export/import, and huge, international companies in China use this as an official communications channel. Like others said, I'd try it, make sure get paid, job done ^^

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you do not have WeChat, then you do not exist in China.

7. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Thank you for making me laugh. You are on a forum for international teaching and ask if your experience is dodgy. hahahhaha

The "circuit" is not just dodgy it is in the gutter.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

4019775 - change the stuck CD.

OP - these courses do exist, but I'd be wary of this one. Yes, WeChat is vital in China but virtually unknown in the West, so anyone recruiting from Europe should know that.

TeacherMan19 likes this.