1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching children with ADHD

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by madwoman, Aug 16, 2005.

1. thanks! this is most helpful!
    sunny
    x

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Don't trust everything just cos the NHS says it's ok! Think of the times it gets it wrong- and then won't admit it publicly. For example, male cancer patients sometimes endure a major, traumatic 'removal' where a less draastic solution is available......but more expensive!

3. Ex Ex teacher.
    No one ever had ADHD when you were a lad because you were born in the stone age. Get in the real world.

4. Hi

I've read through most of this thread in he hopes of finding an answer to my question. I haven't, so here's the question:

Can ADHD just 'start', i.e. up to 2 weeks ago a perfectly well behaved [OK, lets say a normally behaved] yr4 pupil, suddenly starts refusing to carry out instructions, starts to disrupt the learning of those around them, removes themselves to the corridoor when they 'feel' like it where they run around shouting at the other classes. When HT comes to remove child they start kicking and screaming?

Can ADHD start this abruptly?

Thanks

KC

5. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

No Adhd does not just start. It must be present before age 7 and be evident in more than one setting, i.e home and school. Has something happened recently to explain this behaviour? Good luck with sorting this out.

6. Thanks for your reply.

This child is 1 of many at home and has siblings with ADHD. However, I did wonder, as when it started a couple of weeks ago they would position themselves outside the classroom at lunchtime to tell me that they would not be doing anything that afternoon. If I went to the staffroom they would then find another staff member to sit outside of their room and carry on. There are also the sly looks to see if you are watching them and the desperate need on their face for them to make eye contact whenever you see them.

I do have a very supportive HT and we are keeping a log. It's just the effect on others [who are now trying to choose their lessons] that worries me the most.

KC

7. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Could the child be copying behaviour from siblings? It sounds as if they are desperate for attention. It can be very hard for a sibling of children with Adhd, they can feel sidelined and that the focus is on the other children all the time. Have you spoken to the parents? Are they helpful? They might not realise this child's desperate need for attention. Can you find special jobs/responsibilities for the child so that extra attention can be given for the right reasons?

8. madwoman

madwoman New commenter

sounds like 'learned' behaviour to me...ADHD cannot 'just start'

9. I once worked in a school that have been run on very progressive lines for some years and in propotion to liberal attidude were an even longer list of what today we call ADHD which means the little ******* have a low IQ or are just bone idle. Either way teaching them was hell.

Then we got a new principal and vice Principal who introduced a zero tolerance approach to any lax classroom learning activities. In those days UK school still use the cane. With in a week or two there was silence and co-peration in all the classrooms, after a few suffered the consequences of their conduct. Accountability was the new school ethos and that changed everything.

ADHD, I don't believe it exists when when strict school policies are in place.

10. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

I believe that ADHD exists in some children, yet is massively over-diagnosed.

For example I had to deal with quite a nasty assault from a 12-year-old boy with ADHD. (I identified him through his school, the SMT there said because of his ADHD he couldn't sit still for more than a minute.)

He was given an appointment to meet us at the police station at 5:00pm to deal with him. We were delayed due to a serious incident, told the front office andf asked them to apologise t othe boy and his mother.

6:00pm and we arrived. He was still there with his mother, having waited over an hour in the front office.
    I asked the office staff and he'd been sat quietly all this time, as good as gold, with nothing to stimulate him at all!

Do I believe he really had ADHD?
    Not at all!

11. I don't think you can use that one example to decide whether the kid had ADHD or not: it's also possible that being in a police station and possibly getting into trouble overrode his inability to sit still.

There is a difficulty in distinguishing between whether a child has ADHD or whether they are just a bit rowdy. Either way though, that doesn't really change how you can react to them in the classroom.