1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching children with ADHD

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by madwoman, Aug 16, 2005.

1. My son has ADHD and I was given a leaflet called "Teaching chilfren with ADHD"
    It is really useful

I will paraphrase it for you and give contact details as it is of real benefit!

...."ADHD is a medical condition whoch severely impacts the quality of life of the children it affects and their families.

...As a teacher ypu are an important part of the ADHD managment process, along with the child's family and medical team.

As a teacher you will feel understandably frustrated ans annoyed, but as a professional you must recognise that ADHD is a genuine illness. The child is not misbehaving on purpose (at least not always!)

ADHD is an illness:

ADHD is not a fancy label for naughty children or bad parents. All children misbehave sometimes and no parent is perfect.
    ADHD is a well defined and widely accespted medical condition. As with many medical conditions we don't know what the true cause is but we do know that:

* ADHD tends to run in families
    * The brains of people with ADHD are different form other people. Specific areas of the brain show differences in structure, metabolism and chemistry.

Each individual is different, the key symptoms of ADHD are:

* Inattention - the child can't concentrate, skips from task to task, forgets instructions and is disorganised.
    * Hyperactivity - the child is restless, fidgety always fiddling and touching things
    * Impulsive behaviour - the child speaks and acts without thinking, can't wait their turn. Their may be temper outbursts.

ALL children are sometimes inattentive, restless and impulsive. The point about AdHd is that these kinds of behaviour are extreme..........

HELPFUL TIPS:

1. Dont take it personally - there is a medical reason for much of the childs behaviour

2. A Reason is not an excuse - ADHD is the reason for unacceptable behaviour, but not an excuse for it. With your help, children with ADHD can learn to control their behaviour better!

3. Keep in contact with the parents - so that you know each others problems and share the same approach

4. Sit the child close to you - ideally put them between two calm and well behaved pupils, and away from doors, windows and other potential distractions.

5. Provide legitimate oppotunities to be physically active - let them be the one to go and fetch something, or wipe the board.

6. Try to find a way to allow them to fidget - squeeze balls are quiet!

7. Children with ADHD have difficulty palnning activities - and doing them in the right order. Its helpful to give an overview of what you want them to achieve: " your going to write a review of a book" then break it down into smaller steps: "First I'd like you to choose a book" ....etc
    A written checklist can be useful. Children with ADHD need practice in planning and sequencing activities.

8. Beware of changes to routine : children with ADHD find this very unsettling. Explain in advance what is to happen and what to expect

9. Improve their esteem - by praising IN PUBLIC for good behaviour, and repremanding them quietly one - to -one

10. Teasing and bullying - setting them up with an older buddy can help.

More information can be found here :

ADDISS-Attention Deficit Information Services
    PO Box 340
    Egeware
    Middlesex
    HA8 9HL
    020 8906 9068
    info@addiss.co.uk

Websites :

www.adders.org
    www.addcentre.co.uk
    www.addiss.co.uk

Books:

Understanding ADHD - Christopher green and Kit Chee

Managing attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder in the classroom - john Alban-Metcalf, and Juliette Alban -Metcalfe

2. My son has ADHD and I was given a leaflet called "Teaching chilfren with ADHD"
    It is really useful

I will paraphrase it for you and give contact details as it is of real benefit!

...."ADHD is a medical condition whoch severely impacts the quality of life of the children it affects and their families.

...As a teacher ypu are an important part of the ADHD managment process, along with the child's family and medical team.

As a teacher you will feel understandably frustrated ans annoyed, but as a professional you must recognise that ADHD is a genuine illness. The child is not misbehaving on purpose (at least not always!)

ADHD is an illness:

ADHD is not a fancy label for naughty children or bad parents. All children misbehave sometimes and no parent is perfect.
    ADHD is a well defined and widely accespted medical condition. As with many medical conditions we don't know what the true cause is but we do know that:

* ADHD tends to run in families
    * The brains of people with ADHD are different form other people. Specific areas of the brain show differences in structure, metabolism and chemistry.

Each individual is different, the key symptoms of ADHD are:

* Inattention - the child can't concentrate, skips from task to task, forgets instructions and is disorganised.
    * Hyperactivity - the child is restless, fidgety always fiddling and touching things
    * Impulsive behaviour - the child speaks and acts without thinking, can't wait their turn. Their may be temper outbursts.

ALL children are sometimes inattentive, restless and impulsive. The point about AdHd is that these kinds of behaviour are extreme..........

HELPFUL TIPS:

1. Dont take it personally - there is a medical reason for much of the childs behaviour

2. A Reason is not an excuse - ADHD is the reason for unacceptable behaviour, but not an excuse for it. With your help, children with ADHD can learn to control their behaviour better!

3. Keep in contact with the parents - so that you know each others problems and share the same approach

4. Sit the child close to you - ideally put them between two calm and well behaved pupils, and away from doors, windows and other potential distractions.

5. Provide legitimate oppotunities to be physically active - let them be the one to go and fetch something, or wipe the board.

6. Try to find a way to allow them to fidget - squeeze balls are quiet!

7. Children with ADHD have difficulty palnning activities - and doing them in the right order. Its helpful to give an overview of what you want them to achieve: " your going to write a review of a book" then break it down into smaller steps: "First I'd like you to choose a book" ....etc
    A written checklist can be useful. Children with ADHD need practice in planning and sequencing activities.

8. Beware of changes to routine : children with ADHD find this very unsettling. Explain in advance what is to happen and what to expect

9. Improve their esteem - by praising IN PUBLIC for good behaviour, and repremanding them quietly one - to -one

10. Teasing and bullying - setting them up with an older buddy can help.

More information can be found here :

ADDISS-Attention Deficit Information Services
    PO Box 340
    Egeware
    Middlesex
    HA8 9HL
    020 8906 9068
    info@addiss.co.uk

Websites :

www.adders.org
    www.addcentre.co.uk
    www.addiss.co.uk

Books:

Understanding ADHD - Christopher green and Kit Chee

Managing attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder in the classroom - john Alban-Metcalf, and Juliette Alban -Metcalfe

3. Thank you!

4. Your welcome!

5. Hi Madwoman
    Thanks for that. Where did you get the leaflet from?

6. Scrap that stupid question, just read the contacts on your post. Thank you

7. Hi Poppit,

I was actually given it by the ADHD clinic to give to school.

You can get copies from the address listed.

Also they said they were more than willing to give inset days at schools!

Might be worth mentioning!

8. If you have not seen this sort of information before do give a copy to your senco.

Our senco keeps information of this sort on a selection of syndromes and circulates to the various departments. Some of the information we send off for but parents of students with 'new' syndromes are a valuable source of information.

9. The debate over whether ADHD is an 'illness' is not settled yet. Obviously this company have a vested interest in pushing the 'medical model'line- there are big bucks to be made on 'advising' about ADHD. But far too many kids are being medicated/pathologised too readily. Its not just an issue of parenting but wider society. Children are now being prescribed very powerful drugs on the assumption that they have a 'medical condition' which is NOT widely accepted except by those who have a vested interest eg the pharmacuetical industry.

I implore you to keep an open mind about this.

10. "The debate over whether ADHD is an 'illness' is not settled yet"

Look at some of the links.
    These were given to me from the NHS. It is proven that the brain of kids with ADHD is altered!

11. Many, many years ago I went on a course run by a medical clinic in which they said that the messages sent by the brain did not travel as fast in hyper actives as in others.

Obviously I've simplified this as I can't remember all the correct terms..would it be 'jumping the synaptic gap' or something. Anyway the main message was that although they appear to be going faster than everyone else they are in fact slower hence the prescription of amphetamens/speed.

At the time America was prescribing 'hand over fist' but the UK were holding back because of the long term effects.
    It was emphasised that drugs were a last resort.

I personally think other things can cause the same 'symptoms' as hyper activity but not being a medical person simply deal with whoever arrives in my classroom to the best of my ability.

12. mindful

This was not a company that issued this information it was the NHS

This is the problem that pupils in schools face...complete ignorance. I'm not having a go at you, it just seems that kids/parents are just branded naughty, without any understanding.

This is why I placed the info here so ignorant teachers can increase their knowledge and understanding.
    I can only assun=me that you didn't actually read it before judging as so many constantly do and inevitably the pupils suffer.

13. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Madwoman:

"Specific areas of the brain show differences in structure, metabolism and chemistry"

I have the following questions about ADHD:

Specifically, how are ADHD children's brains different?

Where has this been proven and by whom?

"Widely accepted" - Can this be quantified a little more clearly?

14. http://www.playattention.com/attent ... /articles/is-the-adhd-brain-damaged/
    http://www.focusonyourchild.com/learning/art1/A0000491.html
    Skip to main content navigation Notify | Stats | Accessibility | Edit | Sign out Sign in
    [m] Home| Films| Partners| Broadcasters| News & Events| Contact Us| FAQ| [n] Local Navigation Health
    Brain Scans Show ADHD Differences
    narrowband
    Technology
    Society
    Science and Nature
    Business
    Creative and Cultural

Not signed in
    Sign in