1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching children from level 1 to level 5 and stuggling!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Trapin1, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

I teach a mixed year 5/6 class and this year have children whose abilities range from level 1 to level 5. I have a TA four morning a week and, because of the situation, a teacher who comes in 2 and a half days to support maths and English. On days when it's all 3 of us it's okay, but the rest of the time it's a logistical nightmare. I feel like I'm doing double planning for every maths and literacy lesson because the lower ability children are nowhere near ready to stay and listen to the teaching input at the same level as the rest of the class (we're talking children who can barely string a sentence together and are just starting to count in tens). It feels that either my LA children are not getting adequate support or my G & T children aren't being stretched. Planning is a nightmare and taking over my life. Added to that, a few of my LA children have behavioural problems and cannot be left to do anything independently because they just bicker and get nothing done.

Can anyone in a similar situation offer any advice, please?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I had level W-5/6 last year in my year 6 class and TA support for an hour a week. Soo children who couldn't actually write their full name correctly nor speak in a sentence up to children who sat the level 6 papers at the end of the year.

Planning does mean planning lots of different activities and lots of independent work and yes seeming like more than one lesson. I used to rotate round each group each day so everyone got totally focussed support from me once a week for English (we set for maths so it wasn't so bad).

My least able did sometimes seem as if the input was going over their head a little, but throwing in the odd question that they can access generally kept them listening. And they do sometimes surprise you, so it would be a shame if they never got to listen to the the higher level input.

You can only do what you can do.

Then you need to insist that they DO work by themselves when you ask them to. Ensure that the task is something they can do and would want to do and then absolutely insist that they do it. If they bicker then split them up or punish them in line with your school policy. Children working at that level CAN work by themselves, they do every day in reception and year 1. It is totally unacceptable for you or a TA to be with them all the time, the other children are just as deserving.