1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching children about 'time' in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mezza1, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Hi am teaching children about time next week and was wondering if anyone had any inspirational ideas they could give me other than sequencing.

Thanks in advance

2. Hi am teaching children about time next week and was wondering if anyone had any inspirational ideas they could give me other than sequencing.

Thanks in advance

3. I've just done time with a rec class, i gave them all different o clock times of the day and they had to paint a pictures of what they do at that time of the day and put them all together to make a class routine book based on o clock times. Also gave them paper plates and numbers to 12 and they had to create their own clocks with hands attached with split pins, then used their clocks in subsequent lessons to make different o clock times. We also used laminated clocks to create different times and sequenced pictures into different times of day, seasons.

Hope that helps!

4. how about seeing how many times they can do something within a certain amout of time eg: get sand timers for 1,2,3,5 mins and ask them to see how many times they can write their name, write the alphabet, write an initial sound, jump, hop, how many bricks they can put in a box etc

5. hello I am using this idea in a lesson observation... out of interest how do you know they are learning/understanding a concept of time? just so I can think about some good objectives and expected outcomes! thank you.
    A.

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We got them to think about the ways that we measure time (years through to seconds) and then went on a walk round the school looking for objects/resources that measure time. And also getting them to use time connectives in their speech through lots of modelling and equencing activities. Looking at the statement in DM, I think this sort of thing is maybe more important than o'clock and telling the time - although some are ready for telling the time.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Looking at DM it does seem to be more about developing a concept of time, than telling clock time - although I will be doing a bit of that next half-term.
    We change our calendar every day, so they are learning the names of the days of the week, and developing the idea that we change the day each time, but that a month lasts much longer because we don't change that very often.
    We go through the visual timetable every morning, and I use language like "morning", "afternoon", "next", "then" etc. Some of the children are also becoming aware that certain things happen on particular days.
    last week we had a focus on time. We read "The time it took Tom", which is brilliant for talking about how long different things take (seconds, ,minutes, hours, days etc). Then we tried doing different things in one minute (both indoors and outdoors) to see what we could do eg putting pegs in a pegboard, putting coins in a moneybox, jumping, hopping, throwing beanbags in a bucket.