1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching Certificate Overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by davidphockey, Nov 22, 2017.

  1. davidphockey

    davidphockey New commenter

    I am an English citizen living in Germany, my children attend a private international school where over the last few years I have become more involved. I started as a classroom volunteer/teaching assistant and I am now employed by the school to lead 3 different after school activities. I'm hoping to increase my hours as the school is opening a "Maker Space" and are looking to hire someone to manage the space and coach the students in how to use all of the varied equipment.

    How do I go about gaining a "Teaching Certificate" whilst working? My German language skills are not good enough to attempt to gain a qualification here in Germany and all those I can find in the UK are taught in attendance with no distance learning available.

    Any ideas/suggestions warmly received.
  2. PuRe

    PuRe Occasional commenter

    Have you looked at ipgce?
  3. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    Have you looked into The OU?
  4. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    Sunderland do a PGCE i
  5. lottee1000

    lottee1000 Occasional commenter

    As do Sheffield, and Nottingham
  6. Resource_Creator

    Resource_Creator New commenter

    You could do a CELTA. That's for teaching English Language. They have it available in most countries and doesn't take that long to complete compared to others. Though it is very intense.
  7. pedrfawkes

    pedrfawkes New commenter

    There certainly is a certificate and it can be done overseas. I am about to start mentoring who is doing just that here in Thailand. It is for those with a degree plus experience but no PGCE. Upon completion it offers QTS. Not sure if that's what you are looking for.
  8. makhnovite

    makhnovite Established commenter

    'Upon completion it offers QTS'

    You are not very specific pedrfawkes about which PGCE or IGPCE you are talking about or whose QTS, but as far as I am aware neither of the better known IGPCE's (Sunderland and Nottingham) offer QTS status in the UK and Nottingham is not recognised in some parts of the world; e.g. Hong Kong. But of course I could be wong.
    Angelil likes this.
  9. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    A PGCE and a CELTA offer two very different kinds of certification. The CELTA opens doors in teaching English to foreign students, while the PGCE is really designed for those who are going to be teaching in the UK. The IPGCE, on the other hand, is accepted by some international schools, but not all and it does not confer QTS. Another thing to bear in mind is that the IPGCE is expensive, according to my sources of information.

    So would a IPGCE (or is it a PGCEi?) be the best option for the OP? Hmm. A hard question. The long and the short of it is that most international schools are fee-paying institutions. Therefore there is a certain amount of pressure on principals to hire the best-qualified and most experienced teachers that they can find. In my experience, this means that qualifications are important, but of course there are lots of other factors that will be taken into account when a principal is trying to put together what has been called "the recruitment jigsaw".
    Angelil likes this.
  10. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    What is a "Maker Space"?
  11. davidphockey

    davidphockey New commenter

    Yes, they offer degrees in education but not education qualifications.
    Angelil likes this.
  12. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    A "Maker Space" is probably another name for the DfE. The DfE are good at making lots of empty spaces.
    Wotton likes this.
  13. makhnovite

    makhnovite Established commenter

    "A makerspace is a collaborative work space inside a school, library or separate public/private facility for making, learning, exploring and sharing that uses high tech to no tech tools."

    isn't the internet a wonderful thing so much information at ones fingertips [sic]
    ejclibrarian likes this.
  14. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

  15. lottee1000

    lottee1000 Occasional commenter

    You can do an assessment only route to QTS with Sunderland. It's 12 weeks and is for those with a degree and experience, but no QTS. I imagine that's what @pedrfawkes is referring to.
  16. Angelil

    Angelil Occasional commenter

    Yes. You can do it with other universities too and need a minimum of 2 years' experience before you will be considered.
  17. memoonaqamar78

    memoonaqamar78 New commenter

    hi ,I ham applying for Pgcei through Sunderland. any suggestions how can I find my mentor?
  18. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Yes, memoonaqamar78, and no doubt Sunderland will be quite keen to take your money (and rather a lot of it). Without wanting to appear unkind or discouraging, I feel that I have to say that in my experience most school principals, whether overseas or in the UK, will try to employ teachers who have good qualifications and excellent references from their previous schools. Perhaps a PGCEi from Sunderland is not something that will make you "stand out from the crowd".

Share This Page