1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching CBT in primary schools?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by neon_ballroom, Aug 1, 2018.

1. neon_ballroom

neon_ballroom New commenter

Hi everybody,

Long time lurker, first time poster. After seeing children suffer with anxiety at my school and suffering with a mental health condition myself, I think it would be a great idea for CBT skills to be taught at our school. I think if I had been taught these skills at a younger age I would not have suffered so much with my MH. I have no idea where to start with this though. Does anybody teach CBT skills in their school? Or know if there is any charities/organisations that train teachers to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd want an expert to teach something involving therapy of any kind. (And that is NOT a TA who has been on a half day course and so thinks they are an expert!)

We certainly should (and in my school do) teach children how to manage stressful situations and right and wrong ways to be assertive. Preventative teaching should be the focus in primary schools in my view and should be part and parcel of how we are with children, not something explicitly 'taught'.

nomad, Bumptious and lrw22 like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What lessons will you eliminate in order to teach 'CBT skills'?

nomad and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  4. neon_ballroom

We have 30mins of PSHE a week and so it would be taught during that time.

In an ideal world an expert would teach it but unfortunately we know that would never happen! It would be less therapy though and more teaching the skill of how to deal with hypothetical situations. To an extent this is something we teach informally anyway but wondered if this is something that has been taught to children using the specifics that are taught during CBT sessions. Hopefully it would help them with any mental health issues that arise later in life. I've seen studies where teaching it helps prevent MH issues but have not seen any advice/lessons/training on how to teach it.

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What are you pushing out of PSHE to make space for your own interests?

nomad and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

I lead this subject in my school...and it gets ever bigger and bigger.
    It is enough that the government keep suggesting this and that be taught in schools, without staff adding on their own bits and bobs as well.

We have 2 x 30 mins a week for PSHEE and it is barely enough, despite the vast majority of the curriculum part being taught implicitly throughout all areas of the school.

In theory, we'd like to fit in half a term each of: Economics; Keeping Healthy; School Values; British Values; Charity work; Internet safety; Drugs and Alcohol; RSE. (Already 8 half term's worth of work, so impossible!)
    Then we want to have circle times to discuss personal and social issues relating to the specific classes, decided by the form tutor.
    Then we need time to hold the class part of school council meeting feedback and discussion.

Some staff would like to do 'mindfulness', others 'Growth Mindset', others STEM linked skills, and I'm sure, if I asked, there would be some who think CBT would be a good idea as well!

It cannot happen!
    PSHEE has much that can be taught implicitly through the way we as adults model behaviour and model dealing with tricky situations. And we need to do it.

7. neon_ballroom

Thank you for your replies.

Back to my original question though, does anybody know of any organisations that train or work at a school that teaches this?

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

No.

celago22 and nomad like this.
  9. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

CBT should be used as a treatment for those pupils who need it, not as a prophylactic for those who don't.

So, should we use curriculum time to teach CBT skills?

No.

celago22 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

what's CBT ?
    ban acronyms in education!

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Nothing to do with education on this occasion.... :rolleyes:
    Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

celago22 likes this.