1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching CAD 2D and 3D CAD

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by hockey01, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dear all I am doing a paper on the pedagody of CAD I hope to develop materials which I will post when I finish. I am just wish to gauge your experience of teaching CAD the problems you and you students have. Also when you were training how much CAD teaching did you have at Uni?

2. Not a lot as I trained from 1977 to 1980, infact I should change that to 'nothing'.

The only training I've had was the 'CAD in Schools' initiative several years ago. This pushed ProDesktop. Some of the training was face to face, but the majority was online.

Most of the work we now do is because we are interested and we take the time to teach ourselves.

Problems. When can you get a group of students into an ICT suite? They are permanently booked by other 'more important' subjects. I have 5 computers in my room, but they are the oldest in the school and run very slow due to new programs taking up too much space. As I've pointed out at school, we are at the forefront of technology and yet we have the historical hardware in our rooms, that is frustrating to me and my students.

We now use Google Sketchup and Techsoft 2D Design (V2) as our preferred programs. We can't afford anything else.

CAM, I've kept a couple of TEP milling machines going since 2000, but they are more than struggling now. We have a couple of Suregrave Wizards which are used mainly for circuit production and a laser which arrived this time last year. Also have a few vinyl cutters. All CAD is from 2D Design.

Hope that helps.

3. No training at Uni - PGCE at MMU in 2003. Some while on placement. Luckily I am a Software Engineer so picked it up reasonably easily but ocasionaly confounded when it referred to tech drawing standards.
    I have a reasonable set of computers in my room, not quite enough for one each but not complaining. Managed to convince SMT that we need better computers than ICT, miracle, becaues we need decent graphics. Don;t be too jealous, this isn't out of School funding, we have a good scrounge team working with local industry.
    ProDesktop - free - Not too bad but some pick it up much faster than others so I use a lot of printed task workshets to allow faster ones to progress and not get bored. I find they forget very quickly unless they use it every week at least once.
    2D Design - used to run Laser cutter (old) and CAMM2 (Very old)
    CrocTech and realPCB to make masks for PCBs.
    PS AQA GCSE Engineering will not allow max marks unless 3 types of CAM used. I have used this small trump card on occasion.

4. The training at University consisted of a quick course in Pro Desktop which proved to be a disaster with pupils as they could not go back and fix problems. Frustration quickly turned into, am not doing this by pupils. To be fair to them, it frustrated the hell out of me especially when we got Solidworks.
    2D Design, entirely self taught but bear in mind I came from an industry background where I designed machinery for a living in my early twenties using AutoCAD.
    My school is fortunate enough to have both 2D Design V2 and Solidworks. I have tried using the manuals that came with the packages but found them somewhat lacking. They showed kids how to draw pictures with no measurements, how were they supposed to make them ? I ended up writing some of my own based around the projects I teach.
    I am currently recording a series of pod casts for pupils when using both CAD systems and have over thirty for 2D Design. The feedback from pupils is they love them, find them easy to use and are making significant progress in less time compared with the manuals. They are based around basic, intermediate and advanced CAD skills.
    With Solidworks, I have just completed the assembly section with ten video tutorials and once again have found pupils gaining in confidence when using 3D CAD.
    Don't get me wrong, I still have the usual moaning and whining at times from pupils who want an easy life but as I say to them, refer to the tutorials and they will tell you exactly what I would tell you. It also promotes independant learning and gives pupils a sense of achievement that I haven't had to be there at there side helping out. Furthermore, the teaching assistants love them as they are learning with the kids and can actually help without any prior knowledge of the CAD systems in question. Moreover, I have discussed awarding certifcates to the kids as they complete the tutorials and they really liked this idea too.
    My only criticism of Solidworks is that pupils cannot take a copy home. If only Solidworks would sell the kids a copy for a fiver and make everyones life easier !

5. Hi if you are on anual upgrade students can download it for home use, I have 200+ students and pupils with home use. Solidworks will give you web link and code for home use. Hope that helps