1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Business Studies and Economics

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Mr.Chips, Apr 6, 2012.

1. My first degree was in Business Studies many moons ago and over the past 15 years I have not taught the subject on a long term basis always called onto middle management and other subject teaching. As I head closer to retirement in 5 years time I have grave reservations about this, I dearly love my first chosen subjects and wondering whether I need to retrain, pick up from whence I was trained to teach Business Subjects and Economics. Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. VDL

VDL

Whilst syllabuses change Mr Chips much in the business world doesn't: depreciation is still straight line or reducing balance etc. Much that was challenging about syllabuses has gone - no more linear programming or transportation. Many of the theorists we used to have to wade through on leadership or motivation have been reduced to a by-line if they are there at all. The difference now is a greater focus on written style and access to materials and support from websites like tutor2u, bbcnews and you tube clips all enhance the classroom experience beyond belief. Have a look at some of the tutor2u CPD courses for a brush up and reinvigorating rather than retraining.

3. Thank you for that reassuring comment. Now onto the ardous task ofsecuring a Business Studies post with my bags of teaching experience. It seems that with most subjects the curriculum as been watered down from whence I was at school what seems an eternity ago. I note that ICT as a subject is to be phased out.

4. In fact what is the key point or effective and helpful strategy in teaching economics?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Economics is a social science that attempts to explain how the actions and decisions of firms, consumers and workers and governments affect the operation of the economy. It plays a huge role in our daily lives; it has links to international affairs and politics and is a subject that is often debated and discussed.

Business studies is more concerned with the actions and decisions taken by firms and focuses on topics such as marketing, staff in the organisation, accounting and finance, management, strategy and production methods.