1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching btec

Discussion in 'Music' started by i the t, Sep 15, 2011.

1. i the t

i the t New commenter

I teach BTEC around 4 hours per week.
    What I'm trying to work out is once students have been set an assignment how much of their actual lesson time should be devoted to working on it. Each unit has an amount of GLH
    but how much of this time should be them working independently and how much time on tutorials/imparting the knowledge/skills to carry this out ?
    The amount of GLH for all the units matches the amount of time I actually have with them over the 2 years so therefore the time alloted for each unit must include time spent completing assignments and time spent teaching them how to complete the assignment but i'm not sure how to split it.
    According to the spec, GLH does not include homework.

If poss, please advise.

thanks again

2. i the t

i the t New commenter

I teach BTEC around 4 hours per week.
    What I'm trying to work out is once students have been set an assignment how much of their actual lesson time should be devoted to working on it. Each unit has an amount of GLH
    but how much of this time should be them working independently and how much time on tutorials/imparting the knowledge/skills to carry this out ?
    The amount of GLH for all the units matches the amount of time I actually have with them over the 2 years so therefore the time alloted for each unit must include time spent completing assignments and time spent teaching them how to complete the assignment but i'm not sure how to split it.
    According to the spec, GLH does not include homework.

If poss, please advise.

thanks again

3. GLH is time spent with you "Guided" and that depends how many is required by the qualification.

4. i the t

i the t New commenter

<font size="3" face="Humanist521BT-Light">"It does not include time spent by staff in day-to-day marking of
    assignments or homework where the learner is not present".
    I think I read it wrong the first time, this seems to suggest that homework can be included (though not obviously marking homework).
    it can be interpreted 2 ways !
    either way, I'm not sure how much time of the lesson to spend letting them do the assignments and how much time teaching them how to do the assignments...
    </font>

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

The practical assignments will probably be done at school in lesson time (though they don't have to be).
    So I think you're referring to the written assignments. It comes down to how much they can be trusted to do the work well at home. If you can't trust them from an effort point of view then some of your pupils will need to do them in school (whilst you allow the conscientious ones to work on their practical work as they've already completed the 'paperwork').
    If on the other hand some of your kids are hard working but non too able, then again you might need them to do the work in lesson time so that you can be there to help.
    This is the system I run and it works well. Sometimes some of the lazier pupils see that others are on the instruments and start putting more effort in to finish their assignments at home (but some always need to do them in school).
    Finally, I think that it's very important to remember that with BTEC, pupils can complete assignments via a variety of methods. They don't always have to complete the assignments in writing. They could instead make a presentation to the class (can be quite enjoyable and educational for the other kids too) or they could make audio or video recordings of their answers. This often saves time and provides better outcomes (i.e. distinctions and merits rather than passes) for the pupils.
    If you do make video or audio recordings, keep them somewhere safe as you may need them for evidence and also you can use them the following year to show the next lot of kids what to do (or not do).