1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching BTEC construction as an instructor?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by broughton60, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am new to the forum, but have a question to ask.

I am currently a Design Technology technician working term time plus 2 weeks. I have been asked to teach Btec Construction and Btec Engineering, as these are areas I have experience in. I do not have a degree and would be paid as unqualified/ instructor.

If I am to teach 3hours Engineering and 5hours Construction, what should I expect to be paid? How much time would you expect to be given as PPA out of my weekly hours working as technician? There are no other KS4 subjects taking place so technician time would be for KS3 only.

Hope someone can help.

MB

2. Hi all,

I am new to the forum, but have a question to ask.

I am currently a Design Technology technician working term time plus 2 weeks. I have been asked to teach Btec Construction and Btec Engineering, as these are areas I have experience in. I do not have a degree and would be paid as unqualified/ instructor.

If I am to teach 3hours Engineering and 5hours Construction, what should I expect to be paid? How much time would you expect to be given as PPA out of my weekly hours working as technician? There are no other KS4 subjects taking place so technician time would be for KS3 only.

Hope someone can help.

MB

3. Perhaps you would be better posting on the CS forum as they seem to be doing the instructor stuff.
    A lot of us lot are very unhappy about the kind of deal your school is offering you. As it puts us qualified lot on the dole. I take it the school has put best effort in finding a qualified teacher for this and cannot find one?
    However if you are going off teaching something, if it is to be done properly then the first point of call is the exam board specification (s) In this case the construction specification and the engineering specification.
    Maybe your department has done this for you, and provided a week by week short term programme of study and provided all the resources. If they have not then I would think twice about what this is about!
    I took on Diploma engineering two years ago. I come from an engineering background. However my version of engineering was not the same as the exam boards version of engineering, which had been interpreted by the FE college into another version of engineering. I ended up spending my weekends working up the programme of study which was realistic and achieveable, and was favourably commended by the HOD on all the hard work I put in.
    Loads of paperwork coming from different directions. However it is the exam board specification which you need to work to.
    Or maybe the school wants them 'to do something practical' to 'get them out of the way'. on the cheap, as they may be wanting to do this 'on the cheap', I would not be overly optimistic about the financial reward for yourself.
    Anyway check out the CS forum they are likely to be more helpful. I noted some moans on there recently about them being used as instructors and them not being happy about the dosh!

4. Trying to be a little more helpful. Worth looking at some of the specification blurb, if you have not done so before.
    http://www.edexcel.com/subjects/BTEC-Engineering/Pages/ViewEditorial.aspx?editorial=331
    A good practical subject <strike>teacher</strike> I mean instructor, needs a PHD in logical positivism to understand the ambiguity of language and interpretation in some of these specifications, and assessment in particular.
    However I am sure your department has done this for you.
    Or maybe they are going to throw some sheet metal, solder and a tin of rivets at the classroom, and ask you to get on with it!

5. Take the following example from BETEC engineering, and they are only talking about three or four measuring tools!
    Plurals and ranges
    Sometimes there is a plural aspect to the criteria, for example 'use measuring instruments'. How many is 'instruments'? In general terms, if the content does not show mandatory instruments and they are listed as 'e.g.'s, then two is sufficient, provided the guidance does not state more than two. If the content showed, say, three mandatory instruments, then the plural means three when interpreting the criteria. The same logic must be applied to a 'range'; this would be three unless content or guidance indicates differently.
    Which means you tick boxes for four measuring instruments (to be on the safe side of mandatory - and range.. A steel rule, an engineers square, odd leg calipers, (or anyother caliper) and a micrometer if you are with high achievers!
    I am not sure if BTEC provide the boxes to tick, or your department will provide the boxes to tick, OR maybe you may need to design the boxes to tick yourself.
    Ask management who is ticking the boxes on this one!

6. And my view of specification exam board authors in practical subjects,
    A bunch of highly qualified nutters!

7. Respect and apologies as I know my comments were a bit cynical.
    However my advice is. Just do the practical stuff as you see it, have fun, let the school worry about the assessment boxes and the batty exam board specification.
    It is a great opportunity to do practical work without worrying about the assessment and exam board stuff. Let the school worry about that and let the HOD do the parents evenings.
    As a supply I have done parents evenings and worried about exam board specs and assessment in particular. But the pay was ok (just even as supply)
    Even as supply I had the responsibility of delivering the whole game plan.
    one thing do not worry just enjoy. They can't blame you for nuffink!