1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching British Sign Language from EYFS to Yr 6 - Help!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Gerbils150, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Gerbils150

Gerbils150 New commenter

I am tasked with introducing BSL as an alternative MFL across all year groups from EYFS to Year 6. As BSL gets more embedded, my long term planning will be able to show progress from year to year however for the first year we are all starting from the same base line. Is anyone aware of any schemes of work for teaching BSL to primary children or do I just start with a blank piece of paper? Many thanks!

Mattz1993 likes this.
  2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

My guess is that copying a scheme you like for any other language would work.

But that's not why I replied (as clearly that's not very helpful).

I replied to say:
    WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL
    How fantastic that you are doing this!

Please come and find me on twitter and facebook if you use either platform. I would love to share this with people who connect with me through The Sensory Projects

Mattz1993 likes this.
  3. Mattz1993

Mattz1993 New commenter

Hello!

It is great to see that you're introducing BSL through the curriculum at your school. I think that copying a basic scheme of work that you already have will suffice (obviously amending it slightly to reflect BSL). There are some great BSL books which give you all the pictures and symbols (https://www.british-sign.co.uk).

In my college (not primary I know), we have a BSL Club where people can come and practise their BSL skills and have conversations with each other. We also have a whole college sign of the week; which everyone is expected to use as much as possible. These are normally key words, such as; hello, goodbye, nice to meet you, my name is, please, thank you etc.

Hope this helps - you'll need to let us know how you get on!

Matt

Gerbils150 and alison_winter like this.
  4. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Just out of interest what BSL qualifications do you have? I would have thought you'd need to be at least a Level 2 or 3 to even attempt this.

5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

"Alternative MFL"? How does this work?

6. alison_winter

alison_winter New commenter

I know this was a while ago but I do know about something that can help you teach sign language in primary school, if you don't know sign language too.

Attached Files:

7. jonathanash

jonathanash New commenter

Have you seen signspell? It's a series of 12 books that uses stories to introduce BSL to children. Each book has a set of 4 lesson plans that accompany them.

alison_winter likes this.
  8. alison_winter

alison_winter New commenter

Hi I am aware of this, we actually supply it. Have you used it before Jonathan?