1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Baroque and Classical music to year 9's!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by gilberd, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I am hoping to teach this unit after half term to year 9 groups that are totally switched off to music in general (no thanks in part to previous teaching). Has anyone any ideas on how to teach baroque and classical in a fun and interesting way? I know of the music fun factory who produce a full SOW for roughly £25 but don't know how good this is (would prefer something cheaper!) Any ideas gratefully received!!!

2. I am hoping to teach this unit after half term to year 9 groups that are totally switched off to music in general (no thanks in part to previous teaching). Has anyone any ideas on how to teach baroque and classical in a fun and interesting way? I know of the music fun factory who produce a full SOW for roughly £25 but don't know how good this is (would prefer something cheaper!) Any ideas gratefully received!!!

3. How about comparing the 'original' version of Pachelbel's Canon with Canon Rock? Then do either a class or group performance using whatever instruments you have available (transpose it into C if more appropriate). If you still have time, choose another ground bass and they have to compose their own melody lines to play over the top.

For Classical, theme and variations might be a good starting point.

I don't want to speak out of turn, but if the class is 'totally switched off', is this a good choice of topic? I'm aware that could be out of your hands, but I don't think I'd choose Baroque and Classical for a disengaged group, particularly if they are choosing their options this term.

4. Thanks, I was thinking whether it was the right thing to do because of their options. There is a choice of Baroque/Classical or Blues for the rest of the year so might do blues first and see how that goes. I've heard of Canon Rock but don't have the music for it. Do you know where I could get it?
    Thanks
    Alan

5. Canon Rock is on i-tunes, and I'm sure you can download a TAB somewhere. Good luck!

6. there is a short program on the TV here in France called je vous repasse le standard, google it.
    They take a "classical" piece and then play clips of people who have used the chord sequence, melody etc to make rap, rock and you name it versions. The down side for you is the commentary is in French but there's not much. The music is international though. The alternative to that would be to read the credits at the end and make your own version. At least you would not have to do all the research just a lot of you tubing.

7. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

This is quite a handy link http://www.allegro.philharmonic.me.uk/
    I do a unit with my year 9s looking at pop / rock songs which borrow from the classics - then they have a go at composing their own.