1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching bans in Egypt????

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pinkpoppy, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I have recently been informed that if you leave a school after 1year of a 2year contract, then the school can place a ban on you from working in Egypt. Is this the case? Seems harsh if you fulfill the year despite working in a school you perhaps dislike.
    Comments anyone?

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Totally unlawful under Egytian labour laws.
    Some schools might have unofficial agreements - but that doesn't stop them from employing people from other schools, sometimes mid-contract,
    I seem to remember someone posting on here about a school sending representatives to another school to get "their" teachers back

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

And 2 year contracts aren't "legal" either. Under labour laws, contracts for foreign teachers are to be for one year which can be extended each year. A 2 year one would be very difficult to enforce
    Some schools may get away with it if as they are not registered through the Ministry of Education but, as they are "non-profit", the come under the Ministry of Social Affairs but I would doubt it

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Having taught for two years in the Land of the Nile, my guess would be that some schools do indeed try to "blackball" some teachers, if they feel that the teacher or teachers concerned have not adhered to the spirit and the letter of their contracts. On the other hand, quite a few teachers have tried to get some schools "blackballed" as well, judging by the reviews in the ISR.

5. cheers BFG, interesting the person seemed genuine about it. Hmmmm [​IMG]
    So all Int schools operate on 1 year contracts? So in theory should i wish to move to a better prospect after 1year they can't penalise me legally?
    Can I ask you, as you appear to be pretty clued up on Egypt, how would you rank british schools in Cairo? Generally speaking in terms of how well teachers are treated.
    Thanks

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

They may well believe it but it doesn't mean that it's true. About 10 years ago we had a similar clause in our contracts and had to remove it.
    I can't see how any school could stop you moving using any legal method
    As regards British schools, I've PMd you. Hope it helps

7. Am currently looking at a school that is reputed to have a clause in the contract stating that even after fulfilling your 2 year contract, you are not allowed to work in another school in Egypt for a full year.

Does this mean that this is not enforceable legally (setting aside any other means) or that the right is effectively signed away, the contract superseding the law?

8. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Mine says the same, but this was recently tested and it doesn't hold up. The law is the law. There seems to be some kind of agreement between some schools, but even then it does happen. Depends how desperate the hiring school is, I guess.

9. Not just illegal - it's ******.

10. hmmm...
    [​IMG] thanks

11. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

I've PMed you.

12. Due to the nature of the original post, it would be rather helpful if you were to be open about this.

13. Alpha's school 'úsed' to enforce this rule Robby. Whether or not they do these days....
    Alpha?

14. But weren't bothered about using it against their staff while ignoring it when recruiting others

15. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

One day a bunch of heads are going to get together and start a teacher reference website - all top secret with passwords and hard to get memberships - which would help stop of those school hoping maniacs that seem great on paper but are nightmares to work with. [​IMG]
    I am aware a blacklisting system does operate in some Asian countries where the Minsitry of Education seeks to support schools. I have nothing against the systems at all. One teacher I thought of taking on to turned out to have been blacklisted by another school and saved us from a possible problem had he been employed. Whilst there are ways and means around these things, finding out a teacher had breached contract with some other school would make most heads wary.
    I'm not aware of such a system in Egypt; although in most cases schools are privately owned and pretty much anything goes if the owner is prepared to pay the right ministry worker.

16. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Nope! Still wouldn't work! You would only be inviting numerous visits from various ministries to your school and the associated <strike>bribes</strike> fines for whatever they found "wrong"
    It just isn't possible to enforce this in Egypt. As I said before, only 1 year (rolling) contracts are enforceable in Egypt and the contracts have to be approved by the ministry
    Some schools have tried to force other schools to "return" THEIR staff but that only ended in tears for them (and tears of laughter for us). Those were pretty big schools but they just fell flat on their faces
    Some schools used to (?) have a gentlemen's agreement not to poach other staff but that didn't stop staff applying to other schools

17. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

FP - quite right under the old regime, but thankfully no longer. None of the BSME schools do, but I did interview a teacher about 2 months ago who told horrendous tales about anyone trying to leave for re-employment in Egypt - no reference, no summer pay, unpleasantness in school and potentially no repatriation flight. PM me for detail.

18. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Come on Alpha - name the buggers. Even if it's just a cryptic clue
    Was it them wino buggers???? [​IMG]

19. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

BFG - PMed you!

20. My word, you certainly are PMing a lot of people - why not just save time and say it openly?
    Or perhaps you could PM me because my curiosity has the better of me.
    [​IMG]