1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching - bad idea for people with eating disorders?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by SleepingGrumpy, Mar 19, 2012.

1. My dad has been hinting to me a lot lately that he thinks I teaching isn't the right career for me because of the problems I've had with eating. He thinks because it's such a stressful job it will only make things worse for me and that I wouldn't be able to cope. I know he's only concerned but it makes me feel even worse about myself thinking that this thing I hate could hold me back even more that it already does. I'm just wondering are there any teachers out there who have an eating disorder. How have you coped with it? Is it really difficult and does it make the problem worse?

Liv

2. My dad has been hinting to me a lot lately that he thinks I teaching isn't the right career for me because of the problems I've had with eating. He thinks because it's such a stressful job it will only make things worse for me and that I wouldn't be able to cope. I know he's only concerned but it makes me feel even worse about myself thinking that this thing I hate could hold me back even more that it already does. I'm just wondering are there any teachers out there who have an eating disorder. How have you coped with it? Is it really difficult and does it make the problem worse?

Liv

3. i suffered for a while at the start of my career but really it was unhappiness in personal life, once i got over that and got more responsibility i was able to recover. at my worst i would say work became a reason to try to get better as i love my job and would have hated to not be able to do it. But yes it is stressful so you do need to think about that.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

First and foremost, you've got to learn to make these decisions for yourself. An eating disorder might cause problems in any career. Your dad isn't exactly boosting your confidence here, is he?

5. I could never eat much early in the morning before work, then was starving at 1pm when lunchtime finally arrived. Then there were only 20 minutes to bolt some sandwiches and get indigestion. In the evenings I was starving, ate too much for supper and comfort-ate later on.

6. I know someone who has an eating disorder and her health has sadly deteriorated more rapidly recently due to a new job in teaching. I personally think that teaching takes over your life, just as an eating disorder can. If you put both things together, it can end very badly. My friend has deteriorated so much that she is now in hospital. Of course, different people react differently to the job, but I have never had an eating disorder and I often go 2 or 3 days in a row without eating very much at all when I am very stressed. If you already have a problem with food, it could make that problem much worse. I hope this helps.

7. Hi,

I was just recovering from an eating disorder when I first applied for teacher training. I had to be assessed by occupational health to make sure I was ready for it.

It has been difficult, and because your meals times in teaching are so dictatated (or non existent) I have felt at times that it has made me anxious and fear relapse. The added stress of the job has made it difficult at times too.

However having said all of that, I love this job, and over the last few years I feel far stronger and more confident and this has enabled me to enjoy life more, and push the eating disorder away.

I think your dad is right to be worried, I have had frequent arguments where my OH suggests it's not the right career for me, but I have found it can be so enriching and confidence building.

Good luck.