1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching at secondary school?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by cooldudematt, Feb 4, 2017.

1. cooldudematt

cooldudematt New commenter

So i am only just starting my A-levels :
    A-level maths
    A-level physics
    A-level design and technology
    and A-level music technology

and i am think that i would be interested in teaching design and technology but i do not wish to go to university so am wanting to know whether i can still go into teaching secondary/sixth design and technology as i heave read about the different paths but they have confused me slightly as some of my teachers have said they go experience in working for example a machine operator then they applied to do a teacher training? could i start training to teach straight from A-level or would i need to get experience first? please help?

2. cb324

cb324 New commenter

You need a degree to be able to teach (as of right now anyway) for secondary and primary school. Unsure if you need a degree to teach in FE colleges though.

"
    What are the entry requirements for a career in teaching?
    To qualify as a teacher in England you must meet the following requirements:

• GCSE grade C or above in mathematics and English: for primary teaching you also need GCSE science grade C or above.
    • Professional skills tests: in literacy and numeracy (if training in England). You must pass these before starting your teacher training course.
    • A degree: for primary teaching some ITT providers prefer you to have a degree in a national curriculum subject. If you don't, you should talk directly to the training provider to see if they will accept your degree. For secondary teaching you'll need a degree in, or closely related to, the subject you would like to teach.
    • Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) courses: if you want to teach a shortage subject and your degree is not closely linked to it, your training provider may decide that you need to take an SKE course to boost your subject knowledge. These courses vary in length according to your need and may be done full-time or through part-time study or distance learning, either before or alongside your initial teacher training course.
    • Declaration of health questionnaire: you may be asked to complete a declaration of health questionnaire before starting the ITT course. Any information you provide about disability is protected by the Equality Act 2010. If you have a disability it is advisable to make early contact with the training provider.

• Declaration of criminal convictions: the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which allow convictions for criminal offences to be regarded as 'spent' after a period of time, don't apply to the teaching profession. You're required to declare any previous convictions. All trainee teachers undergo a criminal record check before starting school-based training."
    https://targetpostgrad.com/subjects...ualifications-do-you-need-to-become-a-teacher