1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching at international schools or in another country (i.e. the UK or Hong Kong)

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by dclaxton34, Dec 30, 2017.

  1. dclaxton34

    dclaxton34 New commenter

    I've been possibly considering teaching work at international school or on a temporary basis in another country's public school system such as the UK (I think I'm too old for the UK though, I'm 40 and I don't have the right of abode for particular visas as far as I'm aware). Along with Australian international schools, I've considered working as an NET (Native English Teacher) in Hong Kong (I've previously taught ESL in nearby Shenzhen).

    If anyone has worked in HK is it just teaching ESL or do you get to teach other school subjects?
    Also, for work in the UK or international schools has anyone completed a short-term contract (i.e less than a year)?
  2. snitzelvonkrumm

    snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

    1. Do not limit yourself to particular countries. Focus on gaining a position in a well-established quality school with a strong package. Positions in the UK tend to be poorly paid and have a high cost of living. Being 40 means you are in your prime and you should consider British and IB schools. I would avoid the ESL options unless it is a position in a good Int' school.
    ruthwill500 likes this.
  3. Spoofer4114

    Spoofer4114 Lead commenter

    Good advice

Share This Page