1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching at an international school (China)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dclaxton34, Dec 31, 2017.

  1. dclaxton34

    dclaxton34 New commenter

    I was just wondering has anyone taught at an international school in China short-term (without running out of the country)? I'm looking at a short-term position if they exist (I have previously lived in China for 18 months but I'm after something like 3-6 months).
    I just want to get experience teaching at an Australian or British international school (my long-term goal is a job in New South Wales, my home state).
    I've previously taught EFL over in China and I had to get a Z visa; is it the same visa if you teach at an international school in China (or if it's not, does it take ages to get one like the Z visa)?
    At a Chinese international school, are all of the students foreigners or are they Chinese (I've heard many schools just have Chinese students)?
    I appreciate any replies.
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Any decent international school will have a 2 year initial contract. Plenty of lower level schools in China though that might have less.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Yes, the process of getting a Z visa for China can be a bit tiresome and drawn out. (It might be the case that you will come across the same problem in one or two other places around the world.) On the other hand, do not think of working in China without a Z visa. Not a good idea. Yes, many schools in China will have mostly Chinese students, but a few in the major cities will have a more international student body.

    I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, dclaxton34.
  4. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    You have to ask why a good school would want to hire someone for such a short time. Not really good for the students in normal circumstances.
    Maybe what you want is to sign up with an international long term cover agency.
    If you’re looking for experience for your CV, you should be aware that good schools only count full years. A few months won’t be worth it.
  5. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    The visa rules changed in May/June 2017, so it's now more costly (and more of a hassle) to get your Z visa than it used to be: your degree, teaching certificate and police clearance need to be legalised and notarised; you need a medical clearance for infectious diseases (AIDS, syphilis). Schools want you to sign a 2 year contract so they can recoup the recruitment costs (they would normally reimburse the above, plus actual visa costs, and flights) - they would not be willing to cover these things for a 3-6 month contract. The only potential exception might be a maternity cover - unusual, but I saw one recently advertised on TES for the Philippines.

Share This Page