1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching assistants-useful asset or a bit of a pain...? any views?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hexenkueche, Sep 19, 2006.

1. some t.a.s i have worked with have really helped me within a new school setting but i have found some up themselves to the point of freezing out other colleagues e.g.deliberately withholding info 2 retain some kind of superiority.probably just human insecurity-have met a fair few awkward teachers in my time too.......no offence meant by this thread so please dont b offended!lol hexenkueche

2. some t.a.s i have worked with have really helped me within a new school setting but i have found some up themselves to the point of freezing out other colleagues e.g.deliberately withholding info 2 retain some kind of superiority.probably just human insecurity-have met a fair few awkward teachers in my time too.......no offence meant by this thread so please dont b offended!lol hexenkueche

3. Yes I agree. Very much depends on the person - we have some who are a godsend and others who are either totally up themselves or wind the kids up something rotten. But generally they are pretty good. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of them (well the good ones at least).

4. The TAs that work with me are absolute legends - literally couldn't do without them - but during my TP I met a TA from hell. She'd talk to the kids about their weekends (loudly, in the middle of 'you've got three minutes to do this!' sort of tasks) and she'd demand a worksheet to do tasks herself...before putting her hand up to answer questions and participate in feedback!! The best one was when she got CROSS when I didn't pick her to answer a question. She was in a Year 10 lesson.

:(

5. When I began ther weren't any. And I coped for many years without them. I'm still not sure of the point unless attached to a particular student. (or filing)

6. koali

koali New commenter

I like having TA's in my lessons and they say they enjoy coming in. (Seondary science)
    I think a lot is to do with the ethos that you set up in the classroom. The children in my class see myself and the TA's as a team. TA's are encouraged to contribute and although they may " be attached" to an individual, joint consultation over seating -plans gives them the freedom to move around and offer other help where needed.
    There is frequent banter between myself and the TA's which the pupils adore, but the impression is always (I hope) that we all know and understand the objectives to be achieved.
    I'm lucky- my TAs know me and have asked to be attached to my classes where possible.
    On the flip side. Many years ago, I did have the "TA from Hell" She was rude and opinionated and wound the kids up. I asked for her to be removed from my classes.
    I have also witnessed other secondary staff being very rude to TA's- virtually ignoring them or treating them like second class citizens.
    So I guess its like all work communities- some good and some bad.

7. I like TAs in my classes to participate too...just with my TA from hell, she'd put her hand up and actually get huffy if I chose a pupil over her...! Often, in drama, they'll go and join in with groups and much hilarity ensues! Similarly, in English, TAs contribute ideas about texts etc in such a great way that it entices pupils to provide their ideas...hence why the TAs that come into my class at my current school are absolutely fab and I adore them.

8. glad i have hot upset any 1.my funniest memory of my biggest TAfrom hell was one whose self importance was reflected by her oversized pencil case. she pulled out her pointy board stick with the big yellow hand at the end as she told me she needed me to cover a wet break duty.i was under the misapprehension that she was top TA 4 about half a term and on discovering the truth i did not harbour very pkeasant thoughts towards her....lol hexenkueche.x

9. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think I may have been the TA from hell. I used to work with a teacher who a) couldn't spell very well and b) had very poor general knowledge. We had a system where I used to stare at her in with a quizzical expression when she wrote spellings incorrectly on the board. She then got the children to look the word up, which I thought was good. However, she once told a child that it was incorrect to say that rubber could come from trees. Had to stick up for the child I'm afraid.

10. total pain in so many way especially when they spy for SMT in the most backstabbing way. They're bitter underachievers and now they are all puffed up as they are allowed to do supply cover therby denying proper qualified teachers that have spent years training a decent income - and the knock on effect will be on the teaching profession as a whole- they will be worse than ever. They should all be lined up against the playground wall and shot.SMT next followed by LEAs and then the government.

11. Apologies for the appalling grammar and typos - too scunnered to do it properly.

12. before you start....

13. LSA's are generally great, I need them as I have large classes with some rather low ability pupils and the LSA's do a great job supporting me. However,PLEASE DON'T TALK TO THE PUPIL WHILST THE TEACHER IS TALKING as other pupils then think it's ok to chat because they can hear someone else doing it. Thank you.

14. whitecoat

whitecoat New commenter

TAs are the same as any other colleague - including teachers - most are hardworking reasonable people.

However, I have seen TAs accept chewing gum feom students during a lesson. Mind you, I've seen teachers do the same.

I've seen bored TAs put their hands up to answer questions.

I saw one instance of a new TA in a secondary school refuse to take her coat off in class - teacher thought she was a new student - but, instead of explaining who she was, got into a self rightous "you can't tell me what to do" huff until SMT was called.....

15. I think good TAs can really help a lesson be successful and I have one TA who is such a positive person in my lessons. I love having her in my classroom. However, it is fair to say that they aren't all so positive and can wind up some students, especially those with behavioural difficulties. I had one TA who built up relationships with students by 'befriending' them in lessons. Talking to them about events in Eastenders rather than helping them complete set work.

16. scunnered what a great word. It's been years since I heard it.

17. I was just about to say that.I shall use "scunnered" for the rest of the day now.

18. Before I became a teacher I was a TA. In the school I worked at I loved the teachers, they treated me with respect and asked me what my opinion was even though I really didn't see myself as knowing enough about teaching to answer a lot. However, when I just started in the job, there was another teacher that was covering and she treated me awfully - she got no respect from any of the other teachers for it though- another reason I respected all the teachers in that school.

19. why is it that some TAs remain employed in schools in spite of them being blindingly awful at the job? I can't understand why someone hasn't insisted on TA apptitude tests? I was a TA for many years and some of the dross that was wheeled out under the banner of support was truly disturbing,... How can working in a shop give you the skills needed to go and support a child with ESBD at KS4? The bottom line is this: There are too many women who think that being a TA at secondary level is easy and take up the jobs because it fits in with their children who are still at school. I have seen way too many application forms from people who think that having babies is qualification enough for being a TA, forgive me but IT'S NOT ENOUGH!!!!!! There is a whole world of pedagogy that must be taken into account both by teachers and TAs.
    Nobody in big business puts up with people who are hopeless at a job, why should teachers, other TAs and students put up with rubbish forms of support interventions?

20. As a teacher covering PPA in a primary school I work with all the LSAs and I agree with the posters that there is a range of abilities and personalities - some I work with better than others and there are some who are absolute treasures.

Where it all falls down is that the pay isn't good enough for the work done and in my school anyway there is nothing extra for the treasures who do everything and more.

In my school they are paid until 3:30 when the children leave and not 3:45 when they actually stay in the playground until the children have been collected. Another own-goal which actually demotivates a lot of hard-working LSAs. Add in the lack of training opportunities and the lower status - LSAs called by their first names - it is a wonder that we have so many dedicated ones in the profession.

From my current perspective working more closely with a range of LSAs the difference a really good one makes not just on behaviour but on learning can be immense.