1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistants seem very overworked and underpaid.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by FredWelsh34, Jan 26, 2016.

1. FredWelsh34

FredWelsh34 New commenter

I am having a career break from teaching for a while
    I got a part time job as a primary classroom assistant as a temporary measure for about 8 pounds an hour in a local primary school.
    I am absolutely wiped out. Teaching assistants seem to not have a second in the day when they are not flat out.
    Some career break. I have never worked so hard in my life. Anyone else agree TAs are badly overworked and underpaid?

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Yes I agree!

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hear, hear! I think most of us can just about cope with the workload (although work/life balance is another question) but the pay is just peanuts!

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I was a 1:1 Special Needs Assistant for a year. I was far more tired than I had been when I was teaching. No homework though....£7.20 an hour (5 years ago).

And no pay during school holidays, just statutory minimum.

I believe Care Assistants are similarly undervalued.

6. Unicornscout

Unicornscout New commenter

Couldn't agree more - I have and NVQ3 and have been working part time as KS3 LSA (our Academy don't believe in the title TA even though we do the same job) for nearly fifteen years. At the moment I work 2 days a week with every lesson being with very high profile special needs students mostly within mainstream classes but some 1 - 1 and come out with £300 per month. Good job I love my work !

7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

The pay was worse believe it or not! Back in 1999 in my first post I earned £4999 PA working 25 hours a week! So I went back to college and studied for a degree and did teacher training and I lasted 5 years. As a TA I was flat out while there BUT I didn't have to work at home, I had my evenings and weekends.
    But I agree, these days TAs do so much more and they don't get paid nearly as much as they should be but then that's all care workers, over worked and underpaid for caring for our most precious beings.

8. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Aldi pay more stacking shelves. I do some exam invigilation - paid 10 pounds an hour. No stress.

9. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

I definitely agree.
    Having failed to get a teaching post before summer last year, I took a TA post at the school I was working in. Completely different world! In every aspect! Has really made me appreciate how much my TA did for me last year though! Money is dire thoigh but tutoring on the side is making a tiny difference.

Definitely can't wait to teach again though!

10. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Yes,I agree.
    I feel wiped out some days.
    Tomorrow involves two intervention groups in the morning(15/16 in each group.) Playground duty. Lunch setting out game and quick tidy in Nurture Room ready for group after lunch. Marking all work from Maths/English groups in the morning. Photocopy and deliver L&S for holiday. Nurture.Teaching RE in afternoon. 15 minute discussion.See children home. Possibly speak to parents.Tidy room and back to tidy Nurture Room if necessary. Collect planning for next term. Collect anything else I will need for hols.
    Of course it doesn't always work out and I may get pulled off one of those jobs to cover for illness.
    However I see how much work the teachers in our school do and whilst I have some planning to do I don't have to do it for every lesson in the week. I'm glad of this and I don't have to mark all the books or put the information on the tracking. I help do some of it. I don't know how those who work full time and have young families manage to do it. Quite a few of our young mums work part time to cope.

palmtree100 likes this.
  11. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

Yes.