1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistants-I don't have one...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hulamaru, Aug 22, 2016.

1. hulamaru

hulamaru New commenter

Just wanted to double check really that having a Teaching Assistant isn't a rule/ or a must have etc... I've been without one for a year and next year it looks to be the same again. I have spoken to my head about needing some extra support. I don't have a full class (15-17) mixed year groups but I do have a SATs year group and the extra help would be so good for English... Am I entitled to one in any way or just hope that one day it will change?

Thank you

2. Teaching_Tricks

Teaching_Tricks Occasional commenter

I work in secondary and TAs are like gold dust.... they are assigned to statemented children and work with them...

Out of a 44/50 fortnightly TT - I "may" have a TA in 1 lesson if I am lucky!

Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You have no entitlement.

If you want one then you'd better put forth a very persuasive argument. With a group of that size you'd have to have a high proportion of SEN pupils to convince anyone, I'm afraid.

joLT, nomad, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You might find one mysteriously appears next Jan/Feb when it is clear your children might not all be on track to reach expected level!

5. grumpydogwoman

Ha ha @CarrieV
    You're not wrong there!

Lara mfl 05 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  6. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

When I was in Year 6, I didn't have a TA. It's more than doable.

However, my PPA and senior leadership time was covered incredibly effectively by a wonderful HLTA who would teach French and 'Thinking Skills' and then extra maths and English after Christmas.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Funnily enough I had coffee with my former TA this morning. She's now spending most of her time as a cover supervisor. During the Ofsted inspection, suddenly she was not required to cover, but was needed as a TA where lessons where being observed.

Funny that!! :confused:

bevdex, nomad, Sinnamon and 2 others like this.
  8. hulamaru

hulamaru New commenter

Thanks- I thought that was the case... wishing and hoping hehe

cissy3 likes this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Many schools seem to have cut back on TAs, and they are often targeted on children with specific learning difficulties. If you don't have any of these you probably won't get any help. Sorry.

Sinnamon, grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

And there's nothing wrong with that!

It's such a shame that cuts are leading to so much more work for teachers, as if they didn't have enough already!

(Although when I started, there were no such thing as TAs etc but then classes were smaller)

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have a fantasticTA with me for most of my lessons - she's like a second teacher in the classroom.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

Here we go. Memories from the Age of the Dinosaurs.

I started with classes of 30. TA? Weren't no such animal.

(Mind you, there weren't SATs either. Or OFSTED.)

bevdex, nomad, wanet and 2 others like this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We've all taught giant classes with no TA, but as the OP says... having on in English would make it easier.

Yes his/her class is small, but with a mixed year class, a decent TA would still make it easier.

(A SATs year could well be Rec/1/2 class which would definitely be easier with a TA!)

14. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

I fully understand your concerns. I think it's worth raising the issue with your SENCO or HT/SLT of you feel like children could be seriously disadvantaged. But, as earlier posters have said, with HTs keeping a close eye on budgets, it's unlikely they'll magic up a TA for you. At least, though, if you speak up now, you can pre-empt any future problems...

grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You have to determine the difference between specific support for SEN and more general classroom support, perhaps for a specific group or groups, or to be a general assistant. T

I'm imagining this is a small school if there are mixed year groups. That, of course, brings constraints around the budget. My guess would be that there isn't the funding, particularly if there is no SEN in the class.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

When did it become expected to have a TA? Are they necessary? Genuine questions. I've taught for 35 years and have never had TA support.

nomad, grumpydogwoman and wanet like this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Steady!! I'm a dragon, not a dinosaur!!!! :D

cissy3 likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not always what they are cracked up to be!

upload_2016-8-22_23-12-14.png

19. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

So for 35 years you have never had any SEND children in your class?

20. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

:rolleyes:

Of course I have.