1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistants - are some more interested in stirring than supporting?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by gailrobinson, May 11, 2011.

1. Not the best title for a thread, but that's TES for you...

The teachers in the article who feel threatened or undermined by their TA should look at how they manage them. It is simple hierarchy. I often wonder whether, instead of employing as many TAs as possible on low wages, it would have been better to employ fewer, but better trained / better quality TAs. (That is not to say that all TAs are of low quality, many I work with are more knowledgeable / professional than some of the teaching staff).

2. Interesting article, but you could equally change the 'teaching assistants' to teachers. I think perhaps this is more an issue of adults in schools needing to grow up and stop behaving worse than the children. A good relationship between teacher and TA will create an ideal learning environment.

3. Sadly as most teaching assistants know, we come in from quite a bit of flack from some teachers on the forums. Yes we would agree that there are some individuals out there who give the role of TA a bad name but there are many, many other teaching assistants who do the most fantastic job for pitiful wages and give far more of their time than they get paid for. It is a vocation, a life choice almost.
    We also know that there are teaching assistants being made to do jobs and take on responsiblities that they are not qualified to do but these issues need to be addressed to the management who are placing them in that position.
    I am not a teacher but I want to be treated on a par with the grown-ups rather than the children. I continue with my professional development, training and my own education to try to better myself so I can provide my colleagues and pupils with the best support that I can.
    I would ask that TES magazine do an article discussing the finer points of the TA to balance the scales.

4. Well said PaulaLamb .

5. I'd already read this in work and both LSAs and teachers found most of it funny. I particularly enjoyed reading about the teacher who was so frightened of the TA (can't remember if it stated whether it was a male or female tbh) that she(?) changed the role play area during the holidays rather than risk doing it during term time lol. Sounded like a load of **** to me but it was a fun read while I was eating my sarnies [​IMG]

6. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I take reports like this with a pinch of salt.[​IMG] I have been in the same school as a TA for 18 years starting out as the only TA. Over the years the number of TAs has grown, so has the potential for TA/teacher disaffection But...... to date I have never experienced any disrespect on either side. Okay this cannot be taken as a national example of the typical relationships between TA and teachers but neither can the Tes report either as it is based (just like my example) on the word of a few unhappy teachers who do not know how to form postitive relationships with someone not on their hieracy level. I think this is the main problem that 'some' new teachers do not know how to use a TA in class. Those that do have this confidence in managing the class with the TA role's clearly defined, will build up a postive relationship and most likely end up working as a team.
    As they say, everyone is entitled to an opinion just a shame some have to take it to a public forum (IE Tes report) rather than address the issue in an appropriate manner.