1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistants... a week in the life?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by delikim88, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Embarking on L2 course in Sept with no knowledge of how a primary school week is put together! I will only be doing one day a week placement so I'm just wondering how do days of the week vary? E.g. are core subjects taught every day?
    Thanks for any help!

Also...a little worried about the reaction of my family in law about my decision to train as a TA because they are teachers and TAs and I am nothing like them. I'm pretty quiet...any of you like me?!
    My hope is to one day (in the very distant future) be an educational psychologist.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Get more experience in the school if you can. Every school is different. In ours we use a creative curriculum so it can be mixed up but mainly Maths and English in the morning and everything else the rest of the week. We may have a whole week for Art then no major art for the next 6 weeks this can also happen for DT.

3. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

I wouldnt worry about being quiet, its all about how you interact with the children.. BUT you do need to make sure they listen to you and treat you the same as what they would a teacher.

In our school Maths and English are every morning.. then in the afternoon all the other subjects. Obviously some things like PE will be in the morning depending on the school timetable.

Good luck, keep checking this forum because you can get help and support from some brilliants TA's x

4. Fab. Thanks guys.

And yeah I will keep checking out the forum. I'll need as much help as I can get! Haha

5. swim

swim New commenter

Quiet can be good - you can't have too many people in the classroom making a noise and the teachers make enough as it is so to have a quiet one may be a positive thing. Being quiet also teaches the children to listen to you, which will encourage respect and trust.

6. Thank you for your comment :)