1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by maliquita, Apr 22, 2012.

  1. Hello,
    I am a Spanish Primary Teacher wainting for the
    recognition of my qualified status. My specialization is teaching
    English as second language to children between 3 and 12 years old. The
    other subjects that I can teach are Spanish, Catalan, Maths, History,
    Geography and Arts.
    Because It will take time to get my
    recognition and I need to work I am applying for Teaching Assistant
    positions. I am receiving phone calls from recruitment agencies that
    instead of offering a position they try to convince me that I have to
    attend a course of two days or one week, depends on the agency, in order
    to get a job. They are asking me between 250 and 300 pounds. Is really
    worthy to attend to this courses? If I need some kind of training about
    the English Curriculum are those short courses the proper ones or need I
    to look for another courses?
    Could I teach Spanish in Secondary Schools?
    Thank for your help,
  2. You have two questions. Try asking the second question on the supply teachers forum.
  3. dozymare1957

    dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

    I wouldn't pay them any money.
    Get a list of schools in your area and check out their websites for vacancies or else check the county council website for teaching jobs.
    Why don't you approach some schools about doing some volunteer work initially? That's the way many TAs start off. I know you need the money but you might have to check out McDonalds and Tesco in the meantime.[​IMG] If you are bilingual (tri-lingual) you may be able to get a non- teaching job using your language skills - translating for example. Alternatively, depending on when you live, you may be able to get some summer school work teaching EFL. Again check your area. There is also private tutoring to be considered.
    Good luck

Share This Page