1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching assistant

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by johnnny10, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!!!

I have been to London for one year, my English level is advanced and I would like to know about working as a teaching assistant.
    I have studied Business, I have got the PGCE and I worked for 2 years as a foreign language teacher in Spain. Four months ago, I have applied for the QTS and I got it.
    I am looking forward to working as a teaching assistant in Primary Schools. I have contacted with some agencies but they told me that I don?t have any experience in UK and I cannot work through them. I don?t mind if I have to do some unpaid work. Does anyone know where I can do an intern ship or training programme?
    Can anyone help me?

2. Hi everyone!!!

I have been to London for one year, my English level is advanced and I would like to know about working as a teaching assistant.
    I have studied Business, I have got the PGCE and I worked for 2 years as a foreign language teacher in Spain. Four months ago, I have applied for the QTS and I got it.
    I am looking forward to working as a teaching assistant in Primary Schools. I have contacted with some agencies but they told me that I don?t have any experience in UK and I cannot work through them. I don?t mind if I have to do some unpaid work. Does anyone know where I can do an intern ship or training programme?
    Can anyone help me?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There are some discrepancies in your post which I'm slightly unclear on.
    You say you have been awarded QTS but are looking at Teaching Assistant posts.What is your understanding of QTS and PGCE?
    No Higher Level requirements are generally needed,for the post of TA, though many are in fact well-qualified and train 'in post' once they've gained a position.
    You say 'my English level is advanced' but this is perhaps not coming over as well as it might in your post.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lara has been very polite and kind. I am going to be very honest and blunt.
    I am going to tell you things that you don't want to know, but that you need to know.
    You will not like this.
    I doubt this. What you probably have is a foreign qualification such as Professeur des Ecoles.
    There is no training programme for TAs. And we do not use the expression internship in education is the UK. You probably think it's the translation of stage in French. We don't have those either.
    This is incorrect English. I suspect that you are translating directly from the Passé composé tense in French. And we would not use the definite article here either.
    This is an incorrect preposition.
    And we wouldn't say this either. It doesn't actually mean anything . . . you cannot have that verb and tense with that time expression.
    Well, it is advanced compared with, say, a pupil in a lower secondary school in France. But it is not of a level that would allow you to work as a TA and help pupils with reading, writing and general literacy.
    Sorry!
    An additional problem that you have is that there is at present a huge over-supply of trained and qualified primary teachers, with UK experience. As they cannot get jobs in schools, they are applying instead for TA posts.
    They will, of course, be preferred to you, because of their more relevant training, qualification and experience. And their higher levels of functional literacy.
    I told you that you wouldn't like what I said!
    I am sorry to be giving you bad news. but I believe that it is better to be honest and explain exactly what the situation is.
    There is just too much competition from qualified and experienced native-speaking teachers all trying to get jobs as Teaching Assistants for it to be likely that you would be considered for such a post at present.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars