1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching assistant

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by nefretete, Feb 24, 2011.

1. hi,
    Does somebody know what qualifications do I need to be teaching assistant?
    Thanks for informations
    nefretete

2. hi,
    Thanks for informations
    nefretete

3. Some schools ask for a Teaching Assistant NVQ or a Child Care & Child Development NVQ others just want experience working with children and a reasonable ability in English and Maths. Your local college might have details of suitable courses and career guidance that would help you. I don't think you need formal qualifications to begin an NVQ course.Check out the cost first because unless you qualify for help for fees its quite expensive and some local councils will cover the cost if you take the course once you're employed at a school.They can sometimes be taken at evening classes as well.
    If you have free time to volunteer in a classroom/nursery it would give you valuable experience and help you find out if you enjoy working with children and what age group you would like to work with. Schools really value practical experience-if you're working and can't volunteer in the day time maybe try a local youth club. Try ringing up a local school and ask what qualifications you'd need. Good luck.

4. In the light of all the cuts and issues others have raised about being a TA at the moment, is it wise to want to be a TA?

5. Thanks for informations, I am sure they can help me.Are the qualifications the same for foreigners?I have already some experience working with children but I dont thinks so its enough to get a job as a teacher assistant. Do I need special qualifications?
    thanks
    nefrete

6. It's really good that you have already worked with children and will have learnt practical skills that any future employer would appreciate.
    Think of all the skills you already have - its very valuable that you can speak more than one language and most schools would find that very useful.
    Some schools have TAs who concentrate on language skills with children who have English as an additional language and look for people who can have empathy because they also have gone through the same learning process.
    If there are any children in your wider family why don't you ask to have a word with their Head Teacher to check what they would look for when advertising for a Teaching Assistant.
    Think about the age group you would like to work with - you might have a skill or hobby that a primary or secondary school would find useful. Anything from cooking,art and crafts,sport,photography etc.
    You might enjoy working with younger children in a nursery/ daycare setting or with older children at an afterschool or study club.

7. hi,
    Thanks for informations
    No qualifications are needed. But some training is given in some schools. A lot of schools will employ nursery nurses as they get a qualified professional on the cheap.

8. I don't think you need formal qualifications to begin an NVQ course.
    Check out the cost first because unless you qualify for help for fees its quite expensive and some local councils will cover the cost if you take the course once you're employed at a school.They can sometimes be taken at evening classes as well.
    The NVQ isnt really a course. Its an assesment of the work you are already doing. So you would have to be already in post to do this.

9. Hi,
    Thanks for informations, I ve already aplayed for many jobs but i am not English so its more difficult to get it. I think they want to have person with Uk experience not from the other country.
    So first should i start the NVQ course?
    best wishes
    nefretete

10. hello everyone. can i ask if one can become teacher after working as teaching assistant. the situation is i graduated overseas teaching bachelor degree, but in uk i have done master in business administration. after working in uk as teaching assistant will i have chance to become teacher( i will be happy to take some course for qualification to become teacher) or i definitely need to have uk degree for becoming a teacher?

11. sky7

sky7 New commenter