1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant To Cover Supervisors

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jxmescm, Jun 18, 2018.

1. jxmescm

jxmescm New commenter

There have been a few discussions online on various forums and Twitter about Teaching Assistants covering classes in the same manner as a Cover Supervisor. I know there are a number of courses online for people to become a Cover Supervisor such as the Level 3 Cover Supervision of Pupils in Schools from City and Guilds.

As a TA would you make the change into becoming a Cover Supervisor?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Given that you'll almost certainly be moving within the same school (at least to start with) then you are in a much better position to answer this question. After all you'll have seen supply and Cover Supervisors in classes you're TAing. You also have a good idea about how you'd react if you were at the front of the class. Also it should be easy to ask someone in SLT if you could try it out for a day/week to see how it goes.

Not so sure about the course, unless you can get some school to pay for it. You'd do better to get a testimonial from the above SLT if you wanted to move to another school and CS.

jxmescm likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

As an HLTA, I now cover classes far more than I would have a couple of years ago (I'm primary). I cover anything from one day to three days a week. Many HLTAs I know spend their entire week covering PPA, management time, etc.
    It's tough. As HLTAs, we are expected to actively teach rather than just dish out the 'cover work' left by the class teacher - in theory, that's one of the reasons we are paid at a higher grade than cover supervisors. However, if you are primary, I imagine that as a cover supervisor you would be expected to deliver lessons in exactly the same way as a HLTA.
    There is a lot to think about. If you are considering teaching, it will add to your experience. But if you enjoy being a TA, I would think very hard. I think the idea from JohnJCazorla - find out if you can 'try out' a cover lesson or two - is a very good one. You may decide that life will be a lot harder (with a great deal more pressure), also you may miss the close relationships you can build when working with target groups … and all for a VERY small salary increase.

Supplylady and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

I recommend finding out the exact scope of being a cover supervisor at your school and agree that you should see if you can do a trial lesson. For me it was slightly different in that I got certified as a HLTA at my school to help cover 'the odd hour here and there'. Fast forward just a few months and it had taken over my working life with regards to the hours I actually covered. And I missed 'just' being a TA, that relatively calm life where I could spend quality time with the children. There was no going back to being a plain TA after that though and I ended up moving to another school with a guaranteed smaller HLTA workload. I like the challenge of covering but on a more limited basis. The extra money just isn't worth all the extra stress.