1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant (TA)

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by richardbembridge, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi there, first post here.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to go about getting a TA role? I would like some relevant classroom experience to help me in my application for a GTP course commencing Sep 2012.

I applied for a course commencing this year, Sep 2011, but I was turned down for having no classroom experience.

My subject would be Physics (Science), but I could also teach ICT and Maths.

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

2. Hi there, first post here.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to go about getting a TA role? I would like some relevant classroom experience to help me in my application for a GTP course commencing Sep 2012.

I applied for a course commencing this year, Sep 2011, but I was turned down for having no classroom experience.

My subject would be Physics (Science), but I could also teach ICT and Maths.

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

3. Hi

I would recommend volunteering to start with. That happened to someone in our school who initially volunteered and then was in the right place at the right time when a vacancy became available.

Good luck.

4. Hi, I was very lucky - I emailed every school near me and one was nice enough to give me an interview. Sometimes the jobs just aren't advertised! I'm actually doing Primary next year but work in Secondary - but it's all still relevant, so worth considering looking at both if you wanted.
    Also, try the agencies, some are good for getting work.
    Or, I have heard of graduates without any teacher training becoming cover supervisors - some of these jobs are advertised on council websties
    It's worth bearing in mind that most universities ask for (at least) 2 weeks experience to get on a course, so if you don't manage to find a job then you will need to volunteer somewhere - to be honest I know my volunteer work really helped me secure my job as I've worked with children a lot before, so you might need some volunteer work behind you even just to get a TA job, never mind gain QTS
    I hope this helps,
    Good luck in your search

5. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

If you email schools in your area, one should let you observe some lessons, although they are very strict on crbs which could hinder you. Have you got any experience with students outside school, if so an agency might take you on and could probably get you some work. However I think you would really struggle to get on a GTP without significant experience most people i know that do gtps have worked in the school as a ta for a year minimum. I work as a ta now and they offered me a gtp for 2012 by then i would have been working as a ta for 2 years. My experience to get the ta job was the students associate scheme, mentoring (if you offer your services im sure you could do that)..google school mentoring schemes in your area, i also did 3 weeks as a learning support assitant that my agency got me...Capita are a good 1 but i don't think they take on people with no school experience, so for you i think emailing/ringing to request observations, volunteering/mentoring is probably where you should start?
    Hope this helps