1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistant qualifications

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by lisahanson1, Dec 20, 2011.

1. lisahanson1

lisahanson1 New commenter

Hello,
    I'm a T.A. working in a primary school, and have just been asked to teach y4 on a part-time basis. The school (and local authority) requires that i update my training as part of the deal. Their preferred route is to do the HLTA course, i'm thinking that i might like to do a NVQ level 4 instead or maybe a level 5, but training providers here in south yorkshire seem to offer very little other than level 2/3 qualifications which i already have.

Does anyone know of any on-line/ distance learning providers? Also any thoughts on which qualification is best for a would be cover supervisor like me?
    Thanks in advance.

2. lisahanson1

Hello,
    I'm a T.A. working in a primary school, and have just been asked to teach y4 on a part-time basis. The school (and local authority) requires that i update my training as part of the deal. Their preferred route is to do the HLTA course, i'm thinking that i might like to do a NVQ level 4 instead or maybe a level 5, but training providers here in south yorkshire seem to offer very little other than level 2/3 qualifications which i already have.

Does anyone know of any on-line/ distance learning providers? Also any thoughts on which qualification is best for a would be cover supervisor like me?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Hi, The only level 4 course that I know of for TAs is the OUs E111 - Supporting learning in Primary schools. A lot of what is required for HLTA status is covered on the course and it would be a good prepartion for HLTA assess,ent. I have done this course and it is very good. :) Wren

4. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

HLTA is a much shorter route, its a status though, not a qualification. It depends if you want to go onto teacher training, for that you would need to start with a foundation degree which gives you level 4 and level 5.However, I would imagine that your school dont want you to be taking time off to attend uni, so you may be better doing the online course as last post recommended. Good luck in whatever you decide.

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Have a look on the TDA website, Im sure there are courses for Cover Supervisors that will become statutory.

6. lisahanson1

Thanks for your response, i'll look into it xx

7. lisahanson1

Thanks for your response, can i ask how time consuming you found the course?