1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant Qualification?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Ellie_st, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Ellie_st

Ellie_st New commenter

Hi Everyone

I am a newbie SEN teaching assistant - I have a degree in Biology so not related to teaching at all really, and no teaching qualifications. I have 1 year of experience working as an LSA for an Early Years special needs provision. I'm now relocating and applying for a similar role and have noticed some ads specify that a Level 2 Teaching Assistant qualification is necessary. I would prefer to do this online so that I can work at the same time.

Can anyone recommend where to look for this sort of qualification, and is a "Level 2" qualification a general term which could be obtained from a number of different courses? Are there specific things I should be looking for when selecting a course? I'm pretty new to this so any advice you have around the topic at all would be appreciated!

Thanks! :)
    Ellie

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Ellie, you will find that the majority of TA jobs will now ask for a Level 2 or 3 qualification - but don't let that stop you applying. There are still exceptions and with a degree and a year's experience, you may well be considered. I do always recommend people enquire at their local FE college for TA training courses; face-to-face hands on training is the best choice - but I know that's not always possible for everyone. I think you should be aiming for a Level 3 qualification; look for one that is CACHE accredited. I've been a HLTA for more than 10 years (and a TA for more than that time before achieving HLTA status); I have no personal experience of online courses but have heard good reports of Stonebridge College. Google them and have a look. Best of luck.

Ellie_st likes this.
  3. Ellie_st

Ellie_st New commenter

Hi @sunshineneeded,
    Sounds good, thanks for your advice. I've found an evening course near me so I may try that out.
    and thank you for replying to both of my posts! :)

sunshineneeded likes this.