1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching assistant qualification.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by amyloux, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Ok so my chances of getting onto a pgce this year are looking less and less likely by the day..... So i am now considering doing a teaching assistant course. I'm looking at the CACHE level 3 in supported learning, would this be worth my while? is it as highly regarded as the nvq level 3 by schools? One of the reasons i am doing it, is that you seem to be able to do it distance learning, whereas you cant with the nvq, and you can do it in a relatively short period aswell if you put your mind to it, which would work better for me.

Any help much appreciated!!! Thanks :)

2. Ok so my chances of getting onto a pgce this year are looking less and less likely by the day..... So i am now considering doing a teaching assistant course. I'm looking at the CACHE level 3 in supported learning, would this be worth my while? is it as highly regarded as the nvq level 3 by schools? One of the reasons i am doing it, is that you seem to be able to do it distance learning, whereas you cant with the nvq, and you can do it in a relatively short period aswell if you put your mind to it, which would work better for me.

Any help much appreciated!!! Thanks :)

3. Hi,
    I would be interested in the qualifications too, if anyone could help out?
    I am currently on the waiting list of my second choice, and although I have been told it is more likely that I will get a place because people do reject offers/drop out, and TDA allocations have not been fully confirmed, I am still preparing myself in case I don't, and I'm really not sure what qualifications are available and what they include.
    Amyloux... If you don't get on a PGCE course, you should try writing personally to schools in your area. Some TA's dont need/have a qualification, although having one will help you! I'm going to be doing that if I don't get in! Best of luck to you getting a place though!

4. hi, Im half way through the CACHE level 3 TA course, and have secured a PGCE place for September 12. I started the course last Septemer to keep me busy this year and as a back up in case I didnt get onto a PGCE course. NVQs dont exist anymore, CACHE is the new TA qualification. I spend 1.5 days volunteering in school, and attend college 1 evening per week. I have had 1 work based assessment so far, and expect at least 2 more before the course ends in July. The course is heavy on essays, my last one was 8000 words, which was not the longest in my class. The course is not difficult, but much more time consuming than I expected, especially considering it is only a level 3 qualification!!!! in the County I live in, a TA must have at least a relevant level 2 qual, usually at least a level 3 TA or childcare qualification.

5. ahhh right ok well I think I will just enrol on this course then, its online so no placements are needed in school, although i think you already need to be involved in a school in some way. It's better for me aswell as i will be able to finish it quicker than if it was in a college. :)

Thankyou!!

Jenny.....yeah i'm going to apply for clearing, but im still waiting on my second choice :( where is your second choice at??! Suspense is awful isn't it!! There are only 15 places at my second choice too, so my chances are tiny!! x

6. My second choice is at Anglia Ruskin, which is the uni I'm currently studying my degree at :) I put UEA as my first choice though coz it's harder to get into, but when visiting both unis I liked ARU soooo much better. I got an interview at UEA and got rejected so all hope is relying on Anglia Ruskin! Best of luck to you! x

7. I'm part of the way through a Distance Learning BTEC Level 2 TA course through ICS. I looked at the CACHE courses, but simply couldn't afford the price tage - luckily the ICS course was on "sale" at the time! The course I'm doing doesn't require a school placement, which is good as i'm working a full time and a part time job! The execises and assessments merely say that if you are working within a school, use your experience, or if not, there is a Case Study at the beginning of the course to work from.
    I've also done it to keep me busy whilst I await the outcome of PGCE applications after not securing a GTP place due to massive numbers. When I initially spoke to the TDA about the diference between the TA course, they said that as long as it was nationally recognised, any of the BTEC, CACHE or NVQs (as they were at the time) were valid and schools would be happy to accept them.

8. As actual TA 3 posts are far and few between anyway and you're likely to end up with a TA 2 role I would just go.and.gain.some.volunteer experience in schools and go for a ta 2 role. This is of course if you want to go into employment straight away .... Combination of volunteer experience , a degree and aspirations to become a teacher go down well in interviews in my experience! I got about 11 interviews for ta roles fresh out of uni and got the second one I interviewed for (the first interview being a disaster because I couldn't find the school and arrived late) . Would be happy to share my app forms from then if anyone would like an idea. Of course this is just my opinion because I needed to be employed at the time and wanted to do something relevant .

9. Hmmmm but I havent got a ta level 2 qual either...and figured I would probs need one or the other to get a ta job...so might aswell go for the level 3 qual right?
    Wowww 11 interviews is brilliant! yeah if I could have a look at your app form that would be a great help :)